Gradius16493

Default I can't find a free, word 2002 download

All i can find is downloads for it when i haven't even got it please give me
a download for microsoft word 2002
Stan Brown

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 04:13:03 -0800 from Gradius16493 Gradius16493
@discussions.microsoft.com:
All i can find is downloads for it when i haven't even got it please give me
a download for microsoft word 2002

It's a commercial product; you have to buy it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Gradius

One doesn't DOWNLOAD MS Word 2002.. one INSTALLS it from a CD which one has
PURCHASED from a STORE..

NB.. upper case used for clarity

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Gradius16493" wrote in message
All i can find is downloads for it when i haven't even got it please give
me
a download for microsoft word 2002

Stan Brown

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:23:02 -0500 from Mike Hall (MS-MVP)
:
One doesn't DOWNLOAD MS Word 2002.. one INSTALLS it from a CD which one has
PURCHASED from a STORE..

NB.. upper case used for clarity

.... and perhaps the teeniest tiniest bit of righteous indignation at
Yet Another Chiseler trying to get commercial software for free? :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Stan

Maybe a little, but not replying in HTML requires some other way to put
across the message such that the important words do not get lost in the
rush.. my story and I stick with it.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:23:02 -0500 from Mike Hall (MS-MVP)
:
One doesn't DOWNLOAD MS Word 2002.. one INSTALLS it from a CD which one
has
PURCHASED from a STORE..

NB.. upper case used for clarity

... and perhaps the teeniest tiniest bit of righteous indignation at
Yet Another Chiseler trying to get commercial software for free? :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Uncle Joe

"Gradius16493" wrote in message
All i can find is downloads for it when i haven't even got it please give me
a download for microsoft word 2002

You can't get any version of Word for free. You must
do as all the rest of us have done at some point in
our word processing career: you must buy the product.
After installing a legitimately-licensed version of Word,
you'll then qualify to purchase future Word upgrades at a
reasonable price.

The cheapest way to acquire Word 2002 is to buy the
latest Microsoft Works Suite package from a reputable
software retailer for about $99.99. The package includes
six solid software products, including MS Encarta
Encyclopedia and Word 2002. This is much cheaper
than buying a full retail version of Word 2003.

Beware of buying a Word product on eBay for about $40.
You'd likely be buying grief. Many such software offerings
on eBay are missing COAs (Certificate of Authenticity)
and legitimate product keys. They're generally used CDs
and the particular CD you buy likely has been activated
by someone else. If this is the case, you won't be able to
activate your cheap copy and it will expire after 30 days.
Buyer beware!

Stan Brown

Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:13:57 -0500 from Uncle Joe
:
You can't get any version of Word for free. You must
do as all the rest of us have done at some point in
our word processing career: you must buy the product.

Or else get hold of a free alternative like OpenOffice.org -- I
haven't tried it myself, but it claims to be compatible with Word
files.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Uncle Joe

Suzanne,

According to Microsoft's Works 2006 Suite web page,
Works Suite 2006 includes Word 2002. It says nothing
about it being a crippled or limited edition of Word.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/wo...s.aspx?pid=001

During my two-year tenure as a CompUSA salesman,
many potential first time PC buyers freaked upon learning
that MS Word would not be pre-loaded on their prospective
PCs. Then they really freaked when the saw the price of a full
retail copy of MS Word. I made many PC sales by promoting
the purchase of Works Suite as a low-cost alternative for
acquiring Word. No one ever came back and complained
that the Word component of Works Suite disqualified them
for upgrading to the latest version of Word.

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message

[...]

I would not regard being ineligible for upgrades as constituting a "crippled
or limited edition of Word" in the sense that it was not the exact same
thing as the version of Word found in Office, but I take your point, and it
is encouraging to hear your confirmation of my suspicion that this version
qualifies for an upgrade. I would doubt, however, that it would qualify for
an upgrade version of *Office* (as opposed to freestanding Word).

I also frequently recommend Works Suite and in fact recently got a copy of
Works Suite 2005 for myself (not to get Word, but to get all the other
useful stuff bundled with it). I hadn't realized that Works Suite 2006 was
out; its contents are a bit different from 2005, so I need to modify my
boilerplate.

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message

"Gradius16493" wrote in

message
[...]

Uncle Joe

Suzanne,

Agree with you completely. I doubt the Word 2002 version
in Works Suite 6 would qualify for an Office upgrade. Strongly
suspect, however, that having Word 2002 installed would qualify
the OP for a Word 200X upgrade.

Word 2002 users should have nothing to be ashamed about. Word
2002 is a powerful tool, and if I were to swap my 2003 copy for
a 2002 version tomorrow, I doubt that I'd miss 2003. Jumped from
Word 2000 to 2003 so didn't experience Word 2002. Bet it is an
excellent product.

Speaking of upgrades--although a wee bit off-topic--saw the
strangest upgrade sight ever in CompUSA last month. It was
a stand-alone Windows XP Pro upgrade for users of Microsoft
Windows 95! Considering the typical PC configuration of Win95
users, I don't see how a Win XP OS would ever operate on such
underpowered gear. What was Microsoft thinking?

Give my regards to Mr. Butterworth when you see him strolling
the streets of Fairhope. I have all his Corps books. A dynamic
and prolific writer. Hope he stays around for a very long time.

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message
[...]

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message

"Gradius16493" wrote in

message
[...]

I agree that a jump from W95 to WXP would be very bizarre. I've been "living
in the past" a bit the past few days when some office reorganization
required me to finally assess and ditch a 13-year collection of floppies,
many of them 5.25" diskettes that I no longer even have the hardware to
read. I copied files from a lot of the 3.5" diskettes back to my HD, and I
was (a) pleased to find that they not only were not damaged but in fact
opened in Word 2003 without demur and (b) amazed that some of the Word 6.0
files were 2 and 3 KB (as compared to 21 KB or so for an *empty* Word 2003
files).

I don't think Bill strolls the streets much. I saw him *once* in the P.O.
and was surprised that I even recognized him. I've never actually been
introduced to him, though one of my clients/friends is a good friend of his.

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message
[...]

"Uncle Joe" wrote in message

"Gradius16493" wrote in

message
[...]

Jim

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:20:51 -0500, "Uncle Joe"
wrote:

Speaking of upgrades--although a wee bit off-topic--saw the
strangest upgrade sight ever in CompUSA last month. It was
a stand-alone Windows XP Pro upgrade for users of Microsoft
Windows 95! Considering the typical PC configuration of Win95
users, I don't see how a Win XP OS would ever operate on such
underpowered gear. What was Microsoft thinking?

They might be ALMOST thinking of old goats like me! I still have one
machine using 95, and I'd love to boost to XP, but unless Godfather
Gates puts out XP on floppies, I'd have to get an external CD drive to
make the switch...

Blessed be, for sure...

I think the question was whether your hardware (not even counting a CD
drive) would support Windows XP, which requires (at minimum):

* PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended;
233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel
Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible
processor recommended

* 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum
supported; may limit performance and some features)

* 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

* Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

* CD-ROM or DVD drive

* Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

wrote:

Speaking of upgrades--although a wee bit off-topic--saw the
strangest upgrade sight ever in CompUSA last month. It was
a stand-alone Windows XP Pro upgrade for users of Microsoft
Windows 95! Considering the typical PC configuration of Win95
users, I don't see how a Win XP OS would ever operate on such
underpowered gear. What was Microsoft thinking?

They might be ALMOST thinking of old goats like me! I still have one
machine using 95, and I'd love to boost to XP, but unless Godfather
Gates puts out XP on floppies, I'd have to get an external CD drive to
make the switch...

Blessed be, for sure...

Jim

Default Attn: Suzanne I can't find a free, word 2002 download

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:07:36 -0500, Jim
wrote:

They might be ALMOST thinking of old goats like me! I still have one
machine using 95, and I'd love to boost to XP, but unless Godfather
Gates puts out XP on floppies, I'd have to get an external CD drive to
make the switch...

Blessed be, for sure...

The hardware requirements are no problem, reallt. The pooter in
question was a discard from my place of employment, with all the
hardward bells and whistles except CD drives - it has a total of 6 USB
ports, but they had the Win 95 OS to keep it compatible with their
other machines. So I have USB ports with an OS that doesn't support
USB...Too bad, 'cuz it has both Microsoft Office and WordPerfect. I
suppose I could unhook the monster and cart it upstairs to where the
other pooters are, and try for a direct connection...

Blessed be, for sure...

Graham Mayor

wrote:

They might be ALMOST thinking of old goats like me! I still have one
machine using 95, and I'd love to boost to XP, but unless Godfather
Gates puts out XP on floppies, I'd have to get an external CD drive
to make the switch...

If the PC has a blanked slot on the front that will take a 5.25" device then
you can add a CD drive for a couple of pounds. A DVD writer will only cost
about £35.