Peter in New Zealand

Default Mail merge woes

I have an issue with mail merge that is driving me absolutely potty! I
have been a user of MS Office since the old 97 days, and am currently
using Office XP. I used mail merge in the old 97 version without trouble,
but this time it just won't fly. I want to print a series of envelopes
using the Outlook contacts. I start from the mail merge wizard in
Outlook, and have also tried with ditto starting in Word. Each time it
seems to do everything OK, and I can "page" through the merged envelopes
on the screen except that there is nothing coming through from contacts.
The address block field remains empty. The return address on the envelope
is there just fine, but that's all. I have studied through the help
topics in both Word and Outlook, and searched the MS site for anything
that might help, but nothing seems to. For what it's worth I am doing
everything exactly as the instructions say, and had no problem with
Office 97 in the old days. I have a fresh installation of Windows 2000,
with Office XP, and everything else works just great. If anyone can throw
any light on this at all for me I would be terribly grateful, as I have
several hundred Chriatmas mailings to get away and I hate the thought of
having to address them all by hand.

--
Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and

Peter in New Zealand

"Graham Mayor" wrote in news:OB9PxSc5FHA.252
@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

Oh Graham, what a gem you are!!! With your splendid help I actually got
it sussed. Why, oh why, couldn't they have left a good thing alone? Not
to worry, at least I understand it in Word 2002 now. And all my Christmas
card envelopes are printing off perfectly merged. My grateful thanks for
your ready help, and the compliments of the season to you and yours.

--
Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
compulsive computer fiddler.

Peter in New Zealand

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in news:eR6zSCg5FHA.252
@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

If you're one for "putting it back the way it was," see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/E...MailMerges.htm

Thank you Susan. I have already customised the heck out of the toolbar,
and it is now the new improved upgraded updated and streamlined "Peter"
version. Think I'd better run the "Save my settings" utility real quick
before anything else happens. But thanks for the pointer. I have book
marked the web page just in case I need to refresh.

Kind regards, Peter.