Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffPSU JeffPSU is offline

Default Where can I get a French keyboard map for Windows XP?

I'm trying to learn to use the French capabilities in Windows, because it's
very inconvenient to use "Insert symbol" every time I want an accent. I have
the language toolbar set up, but don't have a template for the French
keyboard mapping. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For occasional typing of accented letters in Word (and French doesn't
require much in that regard), you can use Word's built-in keyboard shortcuts
(see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm for a list). If
you have the language set to French, Word will even substitute guillemets
(« and ») for quotation marks, insert a nonbreaking space after a colon,
etc.

With an international keyboard layout, I believe many of the keys are
similar, except that instead of pressing Ctrl+', e to get é, you press '
followed by e (' and other accent marks are "dead keys" which don't do
anything till you press another key). To get an actual apostrophe, you press
' and then ' again or ' and a space or punctuation (one or the other,
possibly both).

"JeffPSU" wrote in message
I'm trying to learn to use the French capabilities in Windows, because

it's
very inconvenient to use "Insert symbol" every time I want an accent. I

have
the language toolbar set up, but don't have a template for the French
keyboard mapping. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffPSU JeffPSU is offline

When I set the language to French, the keyboard letters change. The English
keyboard letters q,w,a,s,z,x become a;z;q;s;w;x: As you can see, a comma
also becomes a semicolon, and a period becomes a colon. Isn't there just a
diagram of the remapped keyboard somewhere, or a command to show the current
keyboard onscreen? Thanks.

"JeffPSU" wrote in message
I'm trying to learn to use the French capabilities in Windows, because

it's
very inconvenient to use "Insert symbol" every time I want an accent. I

have
the language toolbar set up, but don't have a template for the French
keyboard mapping. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...turnonuse.mspx or

[...]