Shari

Default Why, in Word 2003, does mark-up remain when *not* wanting that?

Pre Word-2003, when circulating documents - users in receipt of a document
did not have "mark-up" edits being seen when they opened.
I am *not* talking about the feature where you can have Word track changes
&/or where you can have multiple individuals working on the same document &
someone opts to "track changes".
I am talking about where you have created a document yourself, adding
internal notes about the document (for whatever reason--maybe internal notes
that serve to help you remember why someone was added in). In creating the
document, you did not have it selected to "track changes" and after adding
comments/editing remarks, you (yourself) turn the "markup" option off so you
no longer "visually" see your comments. Then the document gets sent to
subordinates or others, but when they open it in Word 2003, *THEY* see the
comments.
Shauna Kelly

Hi Shari

Turning off the display of comments does not delete them from the document.
The comments are still in the document, even if you can't see them. If you
send a colleague a document containing comments, the colleague can decide
whether or not to display the comments. There is no way to force a
receipient to view the document without viewing the comments.

The same goes for mark-up generated from using the track changes
functionality.

If you don't want others to see the comments, you will have to delete them.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

&
someone opts to "track changes".
I am talking about where you have created a document yourself, adding
internal notes about the document (for whatever reason--maybe internal
notes
that serve to help you remember why someone was added in). In creating
the
document, you did not have it selected to "track changes" and after adding
comments/editing remarks, you (yourself) turn the "markup" option off so
you
no longer "visually" see your comments. Then the document gets sent to
subordinates or others, but when they open it in Word 2003, *THEY* see the
comments.

Shari

Thanks Shauna.
In Pre-Word 2003, the option to view documents with mark-up had to be
manually selected to be turned on.
So far my experience with Word 2003 is that setting is the default for
anyone who opens Word to look at a document.
I understand once a comment is included in a document and kept it is there
for anyone (& all) to see/read if they so choose.
What I have not figured out (but I am fairly confident I am remembering
correctly) is that before Word 2003, viewing a document (to see any comments)
had to be manually selected. Now Word 2003 seems to have "mark-up view" as
the default setting (so anyone who is not use to manually turning on/off
mark-up has been asking me about seeing the comments).

"Shari" wrote in message
[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi Shari

That's right.

Microsoft changed the defaults, as I understand it, because people were
concerned about security issues. Too many people accidentally sent a
document to someone else without realizing that the document contained
tracked changes or comments.

In Word 2003, you can tell Word not to display tracked changes and comments
automatically. To do this, Tools Options Security. Un-tick Make hidden
markup visible when opening or saving. As Amazon might say, people who
bought that idea also removed the batteries from their fire alarmsg.

"Shari" wrote in message
[...]

Shari

"you can tell Word not to display tracked changes and comments automatically"

Thanks once more Shauna----I thought users could still control whether or
not they see things the way Microsoft believes everyone wants (MS-default
settings) and looked all over tools/settings and did not see where I could
control that feature.

"To do this, Tools Options Security. Un-tick Make hidden markup
visible when opening or saving. "
Guess this may mean recipients (too) have to manually turn the default
setting off?
To describe my question further -
I am user (A) with master document.
I have the default setting changed (as you describe) above.
I send the master document to a user group (B-F).
User B opens it.
Would User B see the mark-ups (if they too don't have the default 'off').

"Shari" wrote in message
[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi Shari

The short answer is that you can't control how the recipient will see the
document. It's up to them, and it will depend on what version of Word they
have, and how they have chosen to set up their Word.

Maybe you'd be better sending people a PDF file? That way you can have more
control over what people see. There are free PDF creators available for
download, or you can buy a fully-fledged commercial product like Acrobat.

"Shari" wrote in message
[...]

Day

Shauna:

I think I've figured out how to turn off automacti markup mode in Word.

Now, I'd like to be able to open documents in Word in the Final reviewing
mode, as opposed to Final Markup mode.

Can you help me?

Day