Baby Ruth

Default New Computer, Windows XP, Word 2002 hangs up

I am using the same software I have used on two previous computers.
Microsoft Office 2000 Premium with Word 2002 upgrade. On my new computer,
Word for no reason, with no error message, will simply stop responding. It
hangs up, after a page of smooth, simple typing or within 4 words after auto
recovery of the document. There is no pattern I can detect. It's driving me
crazy! How can I fix this?
Stephanie Krieger

If you only upgraded Word to 2002, and are running the
rest of Office 2000 (such as Excel, PowerPoint, and
Outlook), that is most likely the problem. Office doesn't
support multiple versions on the same hard drive. While
there are some programs in the Microsoft Office System
that can run on a computer running earlier versions --
there are a lot of shared files across Microsoft Office
that will cause problems when you try to run different
versions of Office programs on the same machine.

If you use the entire suite, I suggest uninstalling both
Word and Office and then reinstall the version for which
you have the entire Office suite -- or upgrading the
entire suite at once. Uninstalling everything might sound
like more work than necessary, but it's worth a few extra
minutes (that's all it should take on a new machine) to
make sure your installation is clean... if you just
uninstall one or the other before reinstalling the
programs you want to use -- you might end up with
incompatible files left behind.

Hope that helps.

Stephanie Krieger
author of Microsoft Office Document Designer (from
Microsoft Learning)
blog: arouet.net

.