Tom Gettys

Default How to get pictures to refresh automatically in word?

I am using XP home and Office 2003. When I insert picutres into a word
document and the scroll the page, the images do not refresh properly. If the
image is showing, and I scroll the page so part is off-screen and part on,
then scroll the page back so the entire image is on-screen, the part that had
gone off-screen is missing.

If I type any character (a space, say) the image refreshes properly and I
can again see it.

This is VERY furstrating behavior, and I have replicated on another machine
running similar, but not identical software.
Tom Gettys

Um, well, I suppose anything is possible, but that seems pretty far-fetched,
given that every other program I run seems just fine (and that is no small
statement, graphics-wise!). Besides, I ONLY have a problem in word, no where
else.

Another aspect of this problem is that editing the document in the most
minor way (type a space) causes the pictures to appear "instantly"; it is not
as if there is any struggle displaying them. Yet when I scroll the page, the
images are not repainted.

It appears that word calls one "screen update" routine when scrolling, and
it fails to realize that the embedded images need updating also, and it calls
a different screen refresh routine when editing, when knows how to do it
correctly.

The finger strongly points (yet again) at microsoft.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Tom,

Your problem may be due to the PC's display drivers, rather than a fault
with Word.

Cheers

"Tom Gettys" Tom wrote in message
I am using XP home and Office 2003. When I insert picutres into a word
document and the scroll the page, the images do not refresh properly. If

the
image is showing, and I scroll the page so part is off-screen and part on,
then scroll the page back so the entire image is on-screen, the part that

had
gone off-screen is missing.

If I type any character (a space, say) the image refreshes properly and I
can again see it.

This is VERY furstrating behavior, and I have replicated on another

machine
running similar, but not identical software.

Graham Mayor

Not so far fetched. Word imposes surprisingly large demands on the graphics
driver and there are particular issues with some recent ATI drivers and the
Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family.

In the case of the latter, the latest driver
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ProductID=1764
appears to fix the problem. DON'T TRY TO USE THIS DRIVER WITH ANY OTHER
CHIPSET/ADAPTER.

If you have the problem with a different display adapter and are sure you
are using the latest driver, then try reducing the display's hardware
acceleration.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Tom,

Your problem may be due to the PC's display drivers, rather than a
fault with Word.

Cheers

"Tom Gettys" Tom wrote in message
I am using XP home and Office 2003. When I insert picutres into a
word document and the scroll the page, the images do not refresh
properly. If the image is showing, and I scroll the page so part
is off-screen and part on, then scroll the page back so the entire
image is on-screen, the part that had gone off-screen is missing.

If I type any character (a space, say) the image refreshes properly
and I can again see it.

This is VERY furstrating behavior, and I have replicated on another
machine running similar, but not identical software.

Tom Gettys

Thanks for your reply Graham. I certainly can't comment on issues with
certain chip sets and drivers. However, It is really hard to believe that it
is a driver issue when Word is the only program that exhibits display
problems.

Also, your comment did not address the behavior I see where the images DO
repaint (rapidly) in Word when I simply type a space. Word and my graphics
driver play nicely in one case, but not another. It is the same image to be
displayed in both cases, but very apparently Word makes different requests
depending on how the refresh request is stimulate. In one case Word does it
right, in the other it does not.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Not so far fetched. Word imposes surprisingly large demands on the graphics
driver and there are particular issues with some recent ATI drivers and the
IntelĀ® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family.

Tom Gettys wrote:
Um, well, I suppose anything is possible, but that seems pretty
far-fetched, given that every other program I run seems just fine
(and that is no small statement, graphics-wise!). Besides, I ONLY
have a problem in word, no where else.

Another aspect of this problem is that editing the document in the
most minor way (type a space) causes the pictures to appear
"instantly"; it is not as if there is any struggle displaying them.
Yet when I scroll the page, the images are not repainted.

It appears that word calls one "screen update" routine when
scrolling, and it fails to realize that the embedded images need
updating also, and it calls a different screen refresh routine when
editing, when knows how to do it correctly.

The finger strongly points (yet again) at microsoft.

Tom Gettys

LOL! Now, be nice!

Actually, I did update my drivers and it did seem to improve the behavior
significantly. However, the fact that a different video drive helped doesn't
necessarily mean that Word doesn't have problems in how it uses the driver.
I was simply trying to make conversation and discuss the possibilities to
come to a better understanding of the problem. It is not enough for me to
just get a fix, I really do like to understand what the problem was, as fully
as I can.

Thanks again for your inputs Graham.