Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric G Eric G is offline

Default Copy contents of templates?

Windows XPP P2
Office 2003 SP2

Hello,

Sometimes, and for unknown reasons, some of my templates start to show unwanted behaviors, stop working, or can not be restored. It has even happened that my normal.dot has been overwritten by Word and replaced with a new standard issue content. I often back up my templates (but not always) and I sometimes therefore start with a new blank normal.dot. I then want to transfer the content of some older of my templates to the new, blank version.

I it is possible to copy the complete content (styles, macros and toolbar buttons), or parts thereof, from one template to another, or blank (virgin) template, and how is this accomplished?

Using the Tools Templates and add-ins Organizer Styles, it is possible to copy the styles across, but the styles in the destination template, bear little resemblance to the ones in the source template. The style names are correct, but the formatting is not. Why is that?

When trying to the copy macros, via the Macro Project Item tab, no macros are copied. In the source template the only macro that is listed is the "New Macros" macro, but this appears to be without content. Of course, the problem can be solved by a cut-and-paste of all the macros, but is there some other more convenient way of doing this?

Also, how do I copy toolbar buttons assigned to macros across from one template to another? Is it possible to copy custom tool bars across?

Looking forward hearing your views.

Best regards,

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Eric

Start with the following:
What happens when I attach a new template to my document? or How do I copy
content and settings from a template to a document?"
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html

Post back with any further specific inquiries.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Eric G" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric G Eric G is offline

Shauna,

Thanks for the link to your excellent work (that I often have referred to),
and as you explain, there's no easy way of transferring information from one
template to another, but, as usual, it's all in a days work. It seems that
it's easier (or at least less time consuming) to revert back to a backup of
the template, and cut-and-paste what is required.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden