Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
vblaradetrich vblaradetrich is offline

Default Trying to protect a document

I am trying to protect a document so that users can edit certain fields but
not edit the form itself. I have drop down options, checkboxes & field text
options in my document.
When I protect the document by selecting "Tools" & "Protect Document" the
drop downs, checkboxes & field text options do not work. If I click the lock
on the "Form" toolbox I can use these fields however it is possible to
unprotect the document by simply clicking on the toolbar at the top under
"Tools" & then select "Unprotect Document" & the document is then
unprotected. How can I protect the form so that these fields are available?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You don't say what version of Word you're using. If it's Word 2002 or 2003
and you get a Protect Document task pane when you choose Tools | Protect
Document, then you have to check the box for "Editing restrictions" and
select "Filling in forms." When you click "Yes, start enforcing protection,"
you get a dialog in which you can add a password if desired. Note, however,
that forms protection is easily defeated by inserting the protected form in
a new document.

If you're using an older version of Word, you should be getting some sort of
dialog (which will allow you to set a password) when you click Tools |
Protect Document.

"vblaradetrich" wrote in message
I am trying to protect a document so that users can edit certain fields

but
not edit the form itself. I have drop down options, checkboxes & field

text
options in my document.
When I protect the document by selecting "Tools" & "Protect Document" the
drop downs, checkboxes & field text options do not work. If I click the

lock
on the "Form" toolbox I can use these fields however it is possible to
unprotect the document by simply clicking on the toolbar at the top under
"Tools" & then select "Unprotect Document" & the document is then
unprotected. How can I protect the form so that these fields are

available?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
vblaradetrich1 vblaradetrich1 is offline

Thanks that worked. I thought I tried that but I guess I didn't do something
right.
You mentioned that this can be easily manipulated when inserted into a new
document. How is this avoidable or corrected?
--
ldd

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

There is no workaround except to hope for user ignorance. The document
Properties may reveal that the form has been inserted in a new document and
saved, and I suppose close inspection of the form would reveal whether
anything has been changed, but there's really no way around it, and of
course it's a lifesaver when you find yourself needing to edit a form
password-protected by an employee who has left the firm! Note that this is
the *only* type of password that is so easily defeated. A password to open
or modify encrypts the document and is extremely difficult to break.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You don't say what version of Word you're using. If it's Word 2002 or

2003
and you get a Protect Document task pane when you choose Tools | Protect
Document, then you have to check the box for "Editing restrictions" and
select "Filling in forms." When you click "Yes, start enforcing

protection,"
you get a dialog in which you can add a password if desired. Note,

however,
that forms protection is easily defeated by inserting the protected form

in
a new document.

If you're using an older version of Word, you should be getting some

sort of
dialog (which will allow you to set a password) when you click Tools |
Protect Document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"vblaradetrich" wrote in

message
I am trying to protect a document so that users can edit certain

fields
but
not edit the form itself. I have drop down options, checkboxes & field

text
options in my document.
When I protect the document by selecting "Tools" & "Protect Document"

the
drop downs, checkboxes & field text options do not work. If I click

the
lock
on the "Form" toolbox I can use these fields however it is possible to
unprotect the document by simply clicking on the toolbar at the top

under
"Tools" & then select "Unprotect Document" & the document is then
unprotected. How can I protect the form so that these fields are

available?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
vblaradetrich1 vblaradetrich1 is offline

Thanks. It works for this form b/c the integrity of the form is only
necessesary when they return the form as is. But it's good to know that
password workaround exists.
--
ldd