Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Andrew42 Andrew42 is offline

Default Sorting or Filtering a table in Word.

I have an inventory list which is four columns wide (A-D) and about 250 lines
long. It is divided into sections like Furniture, Paintings, Siverware etc.

In between each section are blank rows one of which will include the new
Section Title.

Column A contains either 1,2 or nothing.

I wish to sort on that column A. However it doen't work. I
have tried highlighting the column and sorting - nothing changes
I have tried highlighting the whole table and sorting on column A - nothing
changes.

Can someone help please

Also is it possible to filter a table in Word so that for example only the
items with 1 in column A are displayed?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hi Andrew

Andrew42 wrote:
I have an inventory list which is four columns wide (A-D) and about 250 lines
long. It is divided into sections like Furniture, Paintings, Siverware etc.

"Sections" is a technical term with very special meaning in Word -- I
guess you are _not_ in fact talking about a section break between
Furniture and Paintings, right? So let's talk about categories, then.

In between each section are blank rows one of which will include the new
Section Title.

So, in effect, you are dealing with one very large table.

Column A contains either 1,2 or nothing.

I wish to sort on that column A. However it doen't work. I
have tried highlighting the column and sorting - nothing changes
I have tried highlighting the whole table and sorting on column A - nothing
changes.

You can easily sort within one of your categories. Simply select all its
rows (w/o the title row), and sort after column A.

Can someone help please

Also is it possible to filter a table in Word so that for example only the
items with 1 in column A are displayed?

Not easily, not w/o macro code, I guess.

Excel would be suited a lot better for that task.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QW5kcmV3NDI=?=,

I have an inventory list which is four columns wide (A-D) and about 250 lines
long. It is divided into sections like Furniture, Paintings, Siverware etc.

In between each section are blank rows one of which will include the new
Section Title.

Column A contains either 1,2 or nothing.

I wish to sort on that column A. However it doen't work. I
have tried highlighting the column and sorting - nothing changes
I have tried highlighting the whole table and sorting on column A - nothing
changes.

I assume you want to sort each section within itself...

Select all the rows for the particular section (without the section header or
any blank lines) The Table/Sort. Since you want to sort "nothing" as well as 1
and 2, specify "Text" as the thing you want to sort, rather than numbers.

Given the multiple sections, blank rows, etc you might consider splitting this
into multiple tables (one for each section). Word would probably work more
efficiently AND you could sort more easily.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)