lawtech

Default Formatting marks won't shut off. Please Help!!

The formatting marks will not shut off and It is driving me insane. I click
the button that looks like a backwords P and that doesn't work.
Barb Reinhardt

Select TOOLS - OPTIONS and turn off the formatting marks on the VIEW menu.

"lawtech" wrote in message
The formatting marks will not shut off and It is driving me insane. I

click
the button that looks like a backwords P and that doesn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
drallf drallf is offline

"lawtech" wrote:

The formatting marks will not shut off and It is driving me insane. I click
the button that looks like a backwords P and that doesn't work.

If you hit "ctrl" "shift" "*" it will shut off the marks. However, I've not
been able to figure out how to keep the marks from appearing in the first
place? I'm hoping someone knows the solution? (They just started appearing so
I'm wondering if it's caused by a virus?)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

They will appear if you open a document that has been saved with them
displayed, or if you create a document from a template saved with them
displayed.

Word 2003 has a habit of losing settings stored in the data key in the
registry (i.e. Tools Options). You can overcome this by forcing errant
settings with autorunning macros. In this instance the command line would be

ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

drallf wrote:
"lawtech" wrote:

The formatting marks will not shut off and It is driving me insane.
I click the button that looks like a backwords P and that doesn't
work.

If you hit "ctrl" "shift" "*" it will shut off the marks. However,
I've not been able to figure out how to keep the marks from appearing
in the first place? I'm hoping someone knows the solution? (They just
started appearing so I'm wondering if it's caused by a virus?)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't believe that's the case, Graham. What I do see is that a document
seems to inherit the display setting of the window it is opened in. For
example, I may have NPC displayed in one document and hide them in another.
If I close the second document and open or create a new one, it will (or at
least may, depending on how I open it) have NPC hidden even though they are
still displayed in the first document.

http://word.mvps.org

drallf wrote:
"lawtech" wrote:

The formatting marks will not shut off and It is driving me insane.
I click the button that looks like a backwords P and that doesn't
work.

If you hit "ctrl" "shift" "*" it will shut off the marks. However,
I've not been able to figure out how to keep the marks from appearing
in the first place? I'm hoping someone knows the solution? (They just
started appearing so I'm wondering if it's caused by a virus?)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You may well be right, but the macro should force what happens for each
opened document.

The action of the ¶ button is determined by the settings checked in Tools
Options View Formatting Marks. If (say) paragraph mark is checked here,
the paragraph marks will be displayed regardless of the setting of the ¶
toggle.