Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dodane Dodane is offline

Default cannot create .doc file from my .dot file

I have created a .dot file from scratch, and I have saved it into a
"Templates" folder that I have created under my personal directory.

Now, I try to "Save As" the .dot file as a .doc file, but I can't. Every
time I attempt to do that, Word automatically adds a .dot extension after the
..doc extension I type in, and that's because the "Save as type" box is
disabled while it has the "Document Template (*.dot)" filled in it
automatically.

For any input, many thanks !

Dodane
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Dodane" wrote in message
I have created a .dot file from scratch, and I have saved it into a
"Templates" folder that I have created under my personal directory.

Now, I try to "Save As" the .dot file as a .doc file, but I can't. Every
time I attempt to do that, Word automatically adds a .dot extension after
the
.doc extension I type in, and that's because the "Save as type" box is
disabled while it has the "Document Template (*.dot)" filled in it
automatically.

For any input, many thanks !

Dodane

That's not the way you create a document from a template. In Word go to
New-Document from template (the exact procedure will differ depending on
what version of Word you have, which you omitted to say....)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dodane Dodane is offline

I have Word 2000.

When I go to New Document Template, my template is not there, probably
because I did not save it into the right directory..... Am I wrong ? What
should I do next ?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Move the template to the correct folder - which is the one indicated in
tools options file locations user templates and which contains
normal.dot (or a sub folder of that folder).

Dodane wrote:
I have Word 2000.

When I go to New Document Template, my template is not there,
probably because I did not save it into the right directory..... Am I
wrong ? What should I do next ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Dodane" wrote in message

I have Word 2000.

When I go to New Document Template, my template is not there, probably
because I did not save it into the right directory..... Am I wrong ? What
should I do next ?

or browse to where you DID put it....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dodane Dodane is offline

That did the trick ! Thank you soooooo much !

Dodane
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dodane Dodane is offline

Gordon, can I browse with File New in Word 2000. In the New window I do not
see any possibility to browse like in Windows Explorer.

I solved the problem by finding the Normal.dot file and moving my template
into the same folder. Now I can see my template into the File New General
window.

"Gordon" wrote:

"Dodane" wrote in message

I have Word 2000.

When I go to New Document Template, my template is not there, probably
because I did not save it into the right directory..... Am I wrong ? What
should I do next ?

or browse to where you DID put it....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Dodane

No, you can't browse from the File New dialog box. You can, however,
create a new document from a template in any folder by locating the file in
Windows Explorer. The default action for a .dot file is to create a new
document from the file, so you can just double-click its name. Or,
right-click the .dot file and choose New.

You've done the right thing by putting the .dot file in the UserTemplates
folder. Whenever you need to create a new document from your template do
File New and select the template.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word