Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
casey

Default Overwrite prompt

We recently upgraded to WindowsXP at our office, but are still using Office
2000. When overwriting an existing file using "save as", I no longer get a
prompt asking if I would like to overwrite that file. Is there a way to make
the overwrite prompt come back?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier

I am confused. Are you saying that when you have a document open, and
you tell it to "SaveAs" some document name - other than the one that
it currently named, that you are not warned that you are potentially
overwriting an existing document?

If you have a document open, and you tell it to "SaveAs" and let Word
put in the same document name as it currently is, you will not receive
a warning because you are only "Saving" the current document with no
potential to overwrite an existing document.

Please clarify, because the overwrite warning is standard to all
versions of Word.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.