Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Civil jenny Civil jenny is offline

Default Force justify text

I tried to use Shift+Enter to start a new line in justified text so that the
words on the line will spread out to fill the line, but it didn't work. Can
someone please help?

Thanks!

jenny
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Civil jenny" wrote:

I tried to use Shift+Enter to start a new line in justified text so that the
words on the line will spread out to fill the line, but it didn't work. Can
someone please help?

If you have more than two words on the line where you hit SHIFT-Enter and
you are really using a Justified alignment, then Word should have spread the
words to fill the line.

If it did not, then there is something wrong in your set-up or the last
character on that line is a TAB, which prevents the spreading of the line...

By the way, for future reference, I must say that "it didn't work" is the
most common useless explanation we see in the groups. It is better to
describe observed results and compare that to expected behaviour. You
described the behaviour you wanted, but not what actually happend when you
tried it.

Also, especially because Word 2007 is so different from all other versions,
it is always useful to state the Word version you are using.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In Tools | Options | Compatibility, make sure that "Don't expand characters
on the line ending Shift-Return" is not checked.

Good catch!

I always forget about those compatibility features.
I wonder how people who do not know about them end up changing them? If I
remember correctly, this particular option is never checked by default, is
it? If it is not, how can it be changed without a user knowintg about it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know. Compatibility Options settings are document-specific, so I
suppose if you were working with a document someone else had prepared, you
might not be aware of the settings.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In Tools | Options | Compatibility, make sure that "Don't expand
characters
on the line ending Shift-Return" is not checked.

Good catch!

I always forget about those compatibility features.
I wonder how people who do not know about them end up changing them? If I
remember correctly, this particular option is never checked by default, is
it? If it is not, how can it be changed without a user knowintg about it?

Can I force long hyperlinks to break when using justify? Al Bedo Microsoft Word Help 4 May 20th 23 02:48 AM
Force Entry into a Text Box [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 November 7th 07 06:14 AM
Justify Text smalljazz Page Layout 2 November 27th 06 05:09 PM
In Justify why does inserted text sometimes replace existing text ryebri Microsoft Word Help 1 March 27th 06 01:37 AM
justify text verticaly? mooad2005 Microsoft Word Help 3 June 5th 05 10:35 PM