Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Bradbury

Default Opening Works with Word

Hi

I am having difficulty opening some files that have been sent to me, I am
using Word 2000, the sender informs me that he has Works v8. In an attempt
to resolve the problem I downloaded and installed the Office File Converter
pack from the Microsoft web site and installed it, however I still can't
open the files and I cannot see that the Converter is doing anything.

Am I missing something

Thanks

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield-n-odie

Word 2000 only includes a converter for Works 4.0 .wps files.
Ask the sender to "save as" a Word .doc file and send you that
instead.

Nick Bradbury wrote:

Hi

I am having difficulty opening some files that have been sent to me, I am
using Word 2000, the sender informs me that he has Works v8. In an attempt
to resolve the problem I downloaded and installed the Office File Converter
pack from the Microsoft web site and installed it, however I still can't
open the files and I cannot see that the Converter is doing anything.

Am I missing something

Thanks

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Either version will open a Works document if you have the right filter for
the Works version that created it. Rewcent Word versions have filters for
the latest Works versions - the older filters are linked fron the downloads
page of my web site.

Nick Bradbury wrote:

Hi

I am having difficulty opening some files that have been sent to
me, I am using Word 2000, the sender informs me that he has Works
v8. In an attempt to resolve the problem I downloaded and installed
the Office File Converter pack from the Microsoft web site and
installed it, however I still can't open the files and I cannot see
that the Converter is doing anything.

Am I missing something

Thanks

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nick Bradbury

Thanks Graham

I tried downloading the converter from your site unfortunately the files
appear to be corrupted, I have previously tried to view them with Word Pad,
so I will ask for a fresh set and try again.

Cheers

Nick

Nick Bradbury wrote:

Hi

I am having difficulty opening some files that have been sent to
me, I am using Word 2000, the sender informs me that he has Works
v8. In an attempt to resolve the problem I downloaded and installed
the Office File Converter pack from the Microsoft web site and
installed it, however I still can't open the files and I cannot see
that the Converter is doing anything.

Am I missing something

Thanks

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

If you are asking for a fresh set, ask for a set saved as RTF, which all
Works versions can manage.