Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
blanic via OfficeKB.com blanic via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Copy footer of a template to another doc

I am looking for either the code or macro that will copy the footer from a
template to a document that is created new each day with a different name.
Right now I have to open the template and manually copy the signature then
paste it into the new document. Trying to speed up the process if there is a
way. Ive tried it in MSAccess using VBA, but it doesn't work. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

blanic via OfficeKB.com wrote:
I am looking for either the code or macro that will copy the footer
from a template to a document that is created new each day with a
different name. Right now I have to open the template and manually
copy the signature then paste it into the new document. Trying to
speed up the process if there is a way. Ive tried it in MSAccess
using VBA, but it doesn't work. Thanks

If the footer is saved in the template, _and_ you use the File New dialog
to choose that template to create a new document, then the footer will
automatically appear in the document. You can then save the unnamed document
to whatever name you assign.

To automate this a bit further, you can put this macro in Normal.dot or any
template that you store in Word's Startup folder, and assign a toolbar
button or keyboard shortcut to it (change the name of the template to your
real template's name):

Sub MakeMyDailyDoc()
Dim MyDailyDoc As Document
Set MyDailyDoc = Documents.Add( _
Template:="MyTemplate.dot")
MyDailyDoc.Save
End Sub

If the naming scheme is consistent, you can even have the macro supply the
path and name to use for saving the current document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
blanic via OfficeKB.com blanic via OfficeKB.com is offline

Well your close to what I am wanting. I tried it the way you suggested, I
opened my document then made the macro to add the template with the footer,
but all it did was create a new document with the footer. What happens is I
open a document with a name that changes, say 2333.doc. I then need my
template to be added to that document, but when I try it just opens the
template and not add it. Any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RajKohli RajKohli is offline

1. Open the Template which has the Signature.
2. Delete everything else from that Template.
3. Click File Save As - type a New Name and from Save As Type choose
Document Template.
4. Next time, when you wanted that signature in New Document - click File -
New - from the Task Pane - click On My Computer - the newly created template
will exist on General tab - click OK and you will have a new doucment with
Signature on Footer. Later, save the document with new name e.g. 2333.doc.

Hope this help, let us know!

"blanic via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Well your close to what I am wanting. I tried it the way you suggested, I
opened my document then made the macro to add the template with the footer,
but all it did was create a new document with the footer. What happens is I
open a document with a name that changes, say 2333.doc. I then need my
template to be added to that document, but when I try it just opens the
template and not add it. Any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
blanic via OfficeKB.com blanic via OfficeKB.com is offline

Sorry that was kinda backwards as to what I need. I need to first open my
document 2333.doc, then I need to add the template. I already have the .dot
template, but it does not open into the document I have opened. The way you
explain it I would have to stream the data into the template, which I really
don't want to do. Any other ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RajKohli RajKohli is offline

You still have 2 options:

1. You the method as I described previously and then Insert your 2333.doc
into New Document using Insert - File option.

2. As you said that you want the footer in your 2333.doc from different
template. Then why don't you open both files once and merge once data into
another and make a single final file.

Hope this help, Let us know!

"blanic via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Sorry that was kinda backwards as to what I need. I need to first open my
document 2333.doc, then I need to add the template. I already have the .dot
template, but it does not open into the document I have opened. The way you
explain it I would have to stream the data into the template, which I really
don't want to do. Any other ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RajKohli RajKohli is offline

I am really 0 at VB Coding. In this case, what I will do is to manual copy
and paste data from one file to another. To do this:

1. Open your document and the template which has footer.
2. Switch to Template and then click View menu - Header and Footer.
3. From the Header - Footer toolbar click "Switch To Footer" button.
4. Select the entire footer and click the Copy button.
5. Switch back to your document
6. Click View menu - Header and Footer.
7. From the Header - Footer toolbar click "Switch To Footer" button.
8. Click the Paste button.

This is what I can suggest. If that doesn't resolve your query then repost
your question, so someone else may help you.

Let us know!