Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] drywit01@gmail.com is offline

Default styles, only the heading showing, not the text

I'm a lawyer (I know) who drafts stuff like this all the time:

## Heading. Text, text, text.

When I go to outline view or when I generate a TOC, all I want to see
is the heading, not any of the text. If I use a heading style for the
paragraph, I get the whole thing showing up. I thought that I learned
this once, but have forgotten.

tia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Assuming you use Word 2003 or earlier and generate the TOC based on
heading styles:
1. Type the "Heading" text on one line, and press Enter.
2. Type the "Normal" text on the next line.
3. Apply a heading style (such as Heading 1 or Heading 2) to the first line.
4. Apply a non-heading style (such as Normal or Body Text) to the second
line.
5. Click on the ¶ button (on the Standard toolbar at the top of your
screen) to show non-printing characters.
6. Select the ¶ mark at the end of the heading line, and click on Format
| Font | check the "Hidden" box.
7. Click on the ¶ button again to hide non-printing characters.

wrote:

I'm a lawyer (I know) who drafts stuff like this all the time:

## Heading. Text, text, text.

When I go to outline view or when I generate a TOC, all I want to see
is the heading, not any of the text. If I use a heading style for the
paragraph, I get the whole thing showing up. I thought that I learned
this once, but have forgotten.

tia

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Jul 18, 7:53 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Seehttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm a lawyer (I know) who drafts stuff like this all the time:

## Heading. Text, text, text.

When I go to outline view or when I generate a TOC, all I want to see
is the heading, not any of the text. If I use a heading style for the
paragraph, I get the whole thing showing up. I thought that I learned
this once, but have forgotten.

tia- Hide quoted text -

I'm running Word 2003 SP2.

I went to Suzanne's link and got the hidden paragraph method to work.

I tried using the style separator method and was able to apply the
style properly (I saw the character style changes) and saw the style
differences up in the style box. However, . . .

I lost the paragraph numbering which is a no go. The hidden paragraph
could work, but the people around me are less sophisticated and would
constantly be deleting it.

How can I restore the numbering? Numbering the body text style is not
an option either. (The joys of legal numbering.)