Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bealey Bealey is offline

Default Template/Mail Merge/Help

I need to protect a word document used by approx 10 other people at work as
the content should not be altered with, except in specified parts. However,
tthe document is a template and and individuals details are entered by mail
merging from our database (which cannot be changed) so I cannot protect it.
Any ideas on a different way I could look at this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Bealey

Bealey wrote:
I need to protect a word document used by approx 10 other people at work as
the content should not be altered with, except in specified parts. However,
tthe document is a template and and individuals details are entered by mail
merging from our database (which cannot be changed) so I cannot protect it.
Any ideas on a different way I could look at this?

What exactly do you want protection against? Version of Word?

Mailmerge does never run in a document protected for forms in Word.

You might need code (VBA, .dot) which allows the user, who has just
created a new document based on this template, to enter some data (main
body or special field), fetch the appropriate information from your data
source based on the user data (through mailmerge or not), and then
protects the document for the parts you want it protected.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bealey Bealey is offline

It needs to be protected to make sure the users do not alter the document
content other 1 specified page.

Thanks

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Bealey

Bealey wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmVhbGV5?=,

I need to protect a word document used by approx 10 other people at work as
the content should not be altered with, except in specified parts. However,
tthe document is a template and and individuals details are entered by mail
merging from our database (which cannot be changed) so I cannot protect it.
Any ideas on a different way I could look at this?

Word 2007 can do this, using Content Controls instead of forms protection.

Beyond that, if the change is prior to the merge, using InsertText fields might
work.

If the result file needs to be edited, you're going to need a fully programmed
interface, and it's not going to be straight forward unless you can avoid mail
merge completely and do it all by code. See this article for one possible
approach

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=211308

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland