Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
James James is offline

Default Mail Merge Error in Word 2002

One of the users at my company is attempting to use the Mail Merge Wizard to
create labels using an existing form in a document. She is able to print the
document without any problems using the Mail Merge Wizard. The problem crops
up when the Label option is used. Word crashes when it tries to gof rom Step
2 to Step 3 the program hangs and she gets the Program Error screen, but
there is no reason given for why the program crashed.

On another computer using Word 2003, the document has no problem at all with
using the Mail Merge Wizard to create the labels. For the computer with the
problem, I reinstalled Office and downloaded all of the updates, but the
problem still persists. Office XP Professional is installed on the computer
in question.

I've racked my brain and internet searches have come up with no answers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I haven't come across this problem, but does she successfully set up the
label layout using Label Options..., then see the problem when doing Next:
Select recipients?

What if she enables the MailMerge toolbar and clicks each button in turn to
achieve the same thing (assunming she isn't using Outlook contacts as the
data source)?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
James James is offline

I will try that to see if it will work. Evidently the previous employee in
the same position had the same problem, but created her own solution with
another template for the Mail Merge to be used instead of the actual document.

When the Wizard goes to the label output, that's when Word freezes and the
error message comes up. Word can be restarted, but it doesn't fix the
problem.

Let me try this out and I'll get a response back.

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
James James is offline

Same problem even using the Toolbar. As soon as the label type is selected,
the program crashes and we're back at square one. Outlook is not being used
an Excel CSV is used by the document. It's puzzling since the actual letter
template was able to use Mail Merge to print up all of the contacts, but the
label function isn't working correctly.

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What if you just start from a new blank document or perhaps a blank
template?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
James James is offline

Using a new template does work, but doesn't really solve the problem with the
original document. She has tried using the new template and it will work,
but I'm still stumped as to why the original document will not print labels
when it will work on other versions of Word.

Thanks for your help. I do admit that its a real head scratcher.

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I suppose it is possible that the original template has been corrupted in
some way. What is special about it?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk