Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rik rik is offline

Default can't link 2 different outline list styles to the same heading style

Can someone confirm what I am finding to be a bug or limitation of
Microsoft Word (in PC 2003/2007 and Mac 2003):

I have 2 outline list styles, I'll call them List1 and List2.

For each of these, I want to link level 1 to a heading style, which
I'll call Heading5.

Apparently, however, I am unable to link both of these list styles to
Heading5. List2 is all linked up fine, but when I try to link List1 to
Heading5 as well, the setting won't "stick"--in other words, after
applying the link and closing the settings box, if I go back and look,
the linkage to Heading5 is lost: it just says "no style" again.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Rik

rik wrote:
Can someone confirm what I am finding to be a bug or limitation of
Microsoft Word (in PC 2003/2007 and Mac 2003):

I have 2 outline list styles, I'll call them List1 and List2.

For each of these, I want to link level 1 to a heading style, which
I'll call Heading5.

Apparently, however, I am unable to link both of these list styles to
Heading5. List2 is all linked up fine, but when I try to link List1 to
Heading5 as well, the setting won't "stick"--in other words, after
applying the link and closing the settings box, if I go back and look,
the linkage to Heading5 is lost: it just says "no style" again.

I must admit that I'm pretty new with list styles myself: up till Word
2003, I felt pretty safe by simply ignoring them for my templates. In
2007, I'm still looking for this ignorant path ... ;-)

That said, I'm not clear why you want to link two list styles to the
same style: what exactly are you having in mind as a goal? The idea, as
I see it, is to define all characteristics of the heading style in
"Heading5", except the numbering. Then you setup your list style, and
link its levels to different styles. I don't see any meaningful purpose
in linking two _different_ link styles to the same para style (and,
thinking about it a bit more – not too much because that might drive me
crazy – I reckon it's a good thing for Word not to allow this).

IOW: if you had your way, what kind of numbering would you expect a
paragraph to reflect after applying "Heading5" style?

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rik rik is offline

Thanks for the response,

Heading5 (level 1 in both list styles) is for appendices which are
auto-"numbered" (A-Z) using plain old auto-number. I have 2 other para
styles which are used for figure and table captions within the
appendices (AppdxFigCap, AppdxTabCap). Each of these 2 para styles is
linked to level 2 in it's respective outline-number List style. My
point is this: I need the figures/tables to be auto-numbered but to
include the Appendix letter for the appendix in which they fall. For
example Appendix A: "Figure A.1.", "Figure A.2.", "Table A.1.",
Appendix B: "Figure B.1."
The "Figure" and "Table" text is part of the automatic text in the
list style (as Word forces you to do if you want any text to precede
the auto-number, right?), and for that reason, it seems the 2 List
styles are necessary.

Any suggestions of suitable alternative approach would be appreciated.