cc

Default Recovering Word document opened up as email attachment

Power surge wiped out my pc. Can't find my doc that I opened up from web
mail attachment. I was saving repeatedly but it was still as an attachment.
Any way my latest changes can be recovered? I'm on a tight deadline and need
to know how within the hour.

Thanks!

When you open an attachment directly, unless you immediately Save As, the
document is open (and saved) in a temp folder. When you close Word, the file
is deleted. Since you didn't close Word normally, however, there's a chance
that the file still exists or that an AutoRecovery backup was saved. If you
have opened Word again and it didn't present a backup, then perhaps you
don't have that option enabled. But if the file is listed at the bottom of
the File menu, you can try clicking on it to see if there's a chance of
still opening it. If so, immediately Save As to My Documents (or wherever
you keep your Word docs).

"cc" wrote in message
Power surge wiped out my pc. Can't find my doc that I opened up from web
mail attachment. I was saving repeatedly but it was still as an

attachment.
Any way my latest changes can be recovered? I'm on a tight deadline and

need
to know how within the hour.

Thanks!

How to link or embed objects in Word

For future reference, do go to Tools, Options, Save in Word. The default
save is 10 minutes. What part of 10 minutes are you willing to lose in a
crash? I changed mine to two minutes. I have found - at least in older
versions of Word - that if a document did not restore when I closed and
reopened Word that sometimes it would when I rebooted but probably not if you
didn't save at least once. You should also look under Tools, Options, then
in the File Locations folder, click on AutoRecover files, then Modify, to
know where your recovered files are stored.
--
madamx

"cc" wrote:

Power surge wiped out my pc. Can't find my doc that I opened up from web
mail attachment. I was saving repeatedly but it was still as an attachment.
Any way my latest changes can be recovered? I'm on a tight deadline and need
to know how within the hour.

Thanks!

Graham Mayor

Word does *not* have an option to automatically save the document
periodically. The option that you refer to is autorecovery information. This
*may* have helped the OP have a greater chance of restarting Word recovering
the document, but has nothing to do with the issue here. The OP has saved
the document in a transient temporary folder that may no longer exist. In
those circumstances only file recovery software would possibly stand a
chance of recovering the file.

If you want a true backup function - see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm