Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles.Lindsay Charles.Lindsay is offline

Default 2007 themes can't be changed once the file is saved as Word 97-200

Hi - I've come across a frustration you may be able to help me get past.

I have a heavily formatted document using styles in a way that showed off
how themes can change it live, using the Theme selector (Page
Layout=Themes). I (accidentally) saved it as Word 97-2003 file format, and
despite saving it again back in Word 2007 format, the doc's theme now can't
be changed.

I created another doc to test how themes break when saved in Word '97-2003
format, using lots of styles. I saved one copy as Word 2007, and another in
Word '97-2003 format, then opening both and examining the styles with the
Style Inspector (Home=Styles=Styles 'launcher' (arrow/square at
bottom-right of Styles group)='Style Inspector' (from the middle icon at
the bottom of that work pane.)

The only difference I could see between the two docs is in the Font style -
the 2003 format version explicitly names the font -- "(Default( Candara 14
pt Bold ...", while the Word 2007 version references a style -- "(Default)
+Heading 14 pt Bold ..."

Even if I re-apply a style (like "Heading 1") from the style selector
(Home=Styles='Heading 1"), I *still* can't use the Theme selector.

So, my question is this: Can I rescue my heavily formatted document? How
do I change the explicit font names to style references? Can I even un-set
the explicit font name?

Thanks!
Charles.