Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

Default Compare text

Is there anyway in Word to compare pieces of text in a document or separate
documents to see if they are identical?

It would be nice to have some kind of function that could tell me if two
pieces of writing were identical and highlight the differences so I didn't
have to manually read through two things side by side.

Is this possible? I'm open to macro-based solutions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No-clone
http://noclone.net/

Cool software. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Josh Craig" wrote in message
Is there anyway in Word to compare pieces of text in a document or
separate
documents to see if they are identical?

It would be nice to have some kind of function that could tell me if two
pieces of writing were identical and highlight the differences so I didn't
have to manually read through two things side by side.

Is this possible? I'm open to macro-based solutions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aneasiertomorrow aneasiertomorrow is offline

Hi Josh

If you are using Word 2003 you can use 'Compare' from the Tools menu (see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/as...889391033.aspx for
details). Pre 2003 it didn't work so well I'm told.

There are also non-MS products such as DeltaView too.

Does that help?

Lucy
--
MOS Master Instructor
South Australia

"Josh Craig" wrote:

Is there anyway in Word to compare pieces of text in a document or separate
documents to see if they are identical?

It would be nice to have some kind of function that could tell me if two
pieces of writing were identical and highlight the differences so I didn't
have to manually read through two things side by side.

Is this possible? I'm open to macro-based solutions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

Both responses very helpful. Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No clone can check for any duplicate files. I used the trial version on my
last job. My coworker, although a wonderful woman, was a HUGE believer in
redundancy. I eliminated over 2000 duplicated files. Some word docs had as
many as SIX copies in various locations. Please note the word *had*. ;-)

It's no wonder she couldn't find the right document when she needed it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Josh Craig" wrote in message
Both responses very helpful. Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Even more invidious is Excel used in accounting applications -- the
belt-and-braces brigade copy the workbook each month AND add a new worksheet
for the new month's data. I met one instance where the chain of update links
spanned 27 separate workbooks. So no-one ever dared delete anything for fear
of wrecking something else.

.. .

"Josh Craig" wrote in message
Both responses very helpful. Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was fortunate - she didn't know how to do anything more than add,
subtract, or multiply in Excel. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]