Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fish

Default My Blank Document and Normal.dot (global template) changed.

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up (it
starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem to get it
back to the way it was (default). What can I do to restore my original
Normal.dot global template?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

In Word, click on Tools | Options | View | check the "White space
between pages" box | OK.

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up (it
starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem to get it
back to the way it was (default). What can I do to restore my original
Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jer Jer is offline

Thank you for posting this answer. Do you have any idea how this ended up
being changed? It seems funny that I have the exact same problem as the
original poster. Of course I can't be 100% sure, but I don't think anyone in
my household would have gone in and changed that option. Is there a little
mischief (virus) going on here?

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up (it
starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem to get it
back to the way it was (default). What can I do to restore my original
Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no 'mischief' beyond pilot error. The setting is a toggle that is
activated by clicking anywhere in the top are of the window space above the
'page'. Maybe http://www.gmayor.com/white_space.htm will help explain it
better?

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up
(it starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem
to get it back to the way it was (default). What can I do to
restore my original Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jer Jer is offline

Oh there's mischief alright - I have a 15 month old grand child and I've been
letting him hit the keys. If it's as simple as clicking in a particular area
on the screen, I think that pretty much explains it. Thanks!

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up
(it starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem
to get it back to the way it was (default). What can I do to
restore my original Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

In as much as grandchildren are often allowed to get away with a lot, they
really need to be taught to stay away from the computer. Let them mess up
mommy and daddy's computer. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up
(it starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem
to get it back to the way it was (default). What can I do to
restore my original Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Being in the grandpa situation myself -- with two 3-year-olds and a
1-year old -- my advice is to set up a separate login profile just for
when the kiddies are visiting. Most of the damage they can do to
software will be limited to that profile. Just watch out for the
peanut butter and jelly sandwich stuffed into the CD drive...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up
(it starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem
to get it back to the way it was (default). What can I do to
restore my original Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Seems it might be best to turn the computer off and get out CandyLand or
Chutes and Ladders instead. But I don't have children or grandchildren so I
could be wrong.

--

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot
global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up
(it starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem
to get it back to the way it was (default). What can I do to
restore my original Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pmmm Pmmm is offline

What I'd like to know is: Why can't I find these answers in MS Word 2003
Help? I try that, then go to microsoft.com and search and search. Then I
come here, and get the answer (actually more than one answer to the problem,
but this was the one for me).

So thanks! I can't afford to pull any more hair out!

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up (it
starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem to get it
back to the way it was (default). What can I do to restore my original
Normal.dot global template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you search for Missing Header, the first item returned deals with the
issue.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Fish wrote:

Somehow my MS Word from Office 2003 has changed my Normal.dot global
template. Now when I open Word, my blank document is all messed up (it
starts at the very top instead of 1 inch down) and I can't seem to get
it
back to the way it was (default). What can I do to restore my original
Normal.dot global template?

normal.dot global template willstua Microsoft Word Help 6 August 29th 07 10:55 AM
Mail Merge Data Question Tom Bean Mailmerge 7 May 26th 06 12:02 AM
Normal.dot versus blank document template Jacqueline Formatting Long Documents 14 March 16th 06 02:47 PM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Problems with Global Template normal.dot it is always open and af. John57Davis Microsoft Word Help 2 April 25th 05 12:04 AM