Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PD PD is offline

Default New word documents are numbered wrong

Hello there. I am running Word 2003. Whenever I click file new from within
a word doc or just open the application the document opens with a default
document number that is always much higher than the number of "new Word
Documents" I have already in that location. For instance, when you create a
new word doc by default that doc should be named "New Word document 1". When
I creata new doc it sometimes defaults to number 12, 27, 48 etc. Any
suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

When you open Word for the first time of a Windows session, it should open
to a blank document called Document1 and if you try to save it without do
any editing, it will default to save it as Doc1.doc. As the session
progresses, the Doc number should increment by 1 each time you open a new
blank. If you close Word (and Outlook if you are using Word as you email
editor), it will reset to Doc1 when you open Word again.

If it isn't resetting back to 1, close ALL applications and go to your user
temp folder and delete everything in it. This is usually Documents and
Settings, Username, Local, Temp and should be empty when all applications
are closed.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP