Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
thforum2003 thforum2003 is offline

Default Problems running a macro under a domain login

We are working with a product called "Affinity" from Quadramed. It runs on
top of MS Word 2000 and has a customized macro that is run when the document
is completed. As far as I can tell, this macro saves the file and closes
Word.

The system runs fine if I sign in as a local administrator, but fails if I
try it as a domain administrator. I have used a program called TaskInfo to
try and identify which files are networked, hoping that moving them to the
local drive will resolve the problem but I haven't had any luck.

Can anyone tell me what is different between a local user's Word and a
networked user's Word? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Tom,

The main thing that's different between a local user and a networked
user is that they have access to different Windows profiles. In turn,
that means that any files stored in one profile (in the subfolders
under C:\Documents and Settings\login A) aren't available to the
other profile (login B). That includes the templates in C:\Documents
and Settings\login A\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates and the
add-ins in C:\Documents and Settings\login A\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP.

I'd bet that Affinity's installer puts changes (templates, add-ins,
and/or modifications to Normal.dot) into one or both folders, but only
in the local user's profile.

If this is an important scenario for you, I think your only reasonable
course is to contact Quadramed and ask them for a solution.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:15:22 -0500, "thforum2003"
wrote:

We are working with a product called "Affinity" from Quadramed. It runs on
top of MS Word 2000 and has a customized macro that is run when the document
is completed. As far as I can tell, this macro saves the file and closes
Word.

The system runs fine if I sign in as a local administrator, but fails if I
try it as a domain administrator. I have used a program called TaskInfo to
try and identify which files are networked, hoping that moving them to the
local drive will resolve the problem but I haven't had any luck.

Can anyone tell me what is different between a local user's Word and a
networked user's Word? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
th-mis th-mis is offline

Jay,

This is Tom, but I couldn't reply from the origianl accout for reasons that
aren't important.

The instructions for the program directed me to place the file containing
the macro in c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup. I was under
the impression that this location should make it available to all users.

Unfortunately, I don't have direct access to Quadramed because we are
performing work for one or our clients and they hold the licenses. Somehow,
the client doesn't map any user drives to their domain, so they haven't run
into this problem and don't know how to solve it. Therefore, I have the
pleasure.

I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Tom

wrote:

We are working with a product called "Affinity" from Quadramed. It runs on
top of MS Word 2000 and has a customized macro that is run when the document
is completed. As far as I can tell, this macro saves the file and closes
Word.

The system runs fine if I sign in as a local administrator, but fails if I
try it as a domain administrator. I have used a program called TaskInfo to
try and identify which files are networked, hoping that moving them to the
local drive will resolve the problem but I haven't had any luck.

Can anyone tell me what is different between a local user's Word and a
networked user's Word? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Tom,

The Startup folder under the Program Files folder does make add-ins
available to all users. It isn't a "trusted location" for templates that
contain macros. But if that were the problem, it wouldn't matter which login
you used, the macros would always be disabled.

I can't think of anything in the situation you described that would account
exactly for this problem. Maybe the macro is using information in a data
file in the local user's profile, or in that user's section of the registry.
Maybe the networked login doesn't have necessary rights to files or registry
entries (a variation on this is responsible for the problem discussed in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257643).

You might try removing the Affinity file from the current location and
putting a copy in the Startup folder under each profile instead. That may or
may not work.

Could you get your client to submit a question to Quadramed for you, or call
them to supply the license info and then put you on the phone to ask the
question?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman