Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Default Suggested Pdf software

I continually generate four page Word Documents with 12/14 large photos. A
business associate, with Adobe Pdf Creator, can create a Pdf file which
always comes in at 240/300kbs max. This size of file is permitted as an
upload to my business web site and often used to email my customers.

However I just can't afford to buy the software for myself and have looked
at other Pdf creating software and downloaded a number of trial programmes
but every time the file sizes are far too large. Some let you tweak the
conversion setting but some don't and some have options for screen, home
printing or professional printing sizes.

Any ideas would be very welcome as I don't mind spending £50 or so but not
the hundreds of pounds for the Adobe.

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Have you tried PrimoPDF. The price is right and I have found it to be as
efficient as far as file size is concerned as Acrobat.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
I continually generate four page Word Documents with 12/14 large photos. A
business associate, with Adobe Pdf Creator, can create a Pdf file which
always comes in at 240/300kbs max. This size of file is permitted as an
upload to my business web site and often used to email my customers.

However I just can't afford to buy the software for myself and have
looked at other Pdf creating software and downloaded a number of trial
programmes but every time the file sizes are far too large. Some let you
tweak the conversion setting but some don't and some have options for
screen, home printing or professional printing sizes.

Any ideas would be very welcome as I don't mind spending £50 or so but not
the hundreds of pounds for the Adobe.

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Ken,

Just as there is Microsoft Office, there is also Star Office by Sun
Microsystems.

The core of Star Office is a suite of Programs known as Open Office.

Now Open Office is FREE - yes FREE.

The suite consists of programs that have a VERY FAIR degree of
compatibility with Microsoft Office. These include:
Writer (Word)
Calc (Excel)
Impress (PowerPoint)

Using Writer, you can open standard Word documents with a reasonable
degree of confidence.

(Similarly for Impress and Calc ...)

To address your issue, Open Office also has an excellent 'Export as PDF ...'
facility.

While I won't be giving up Microsoft Office anytime soon, I always have Open
Office installed - I have a number of correspondents, clients and students that
use Open Office/Star Office and I have inter-converted numerous Word docs
without any real problems.

You can download open Office 2.10 at:
http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html.

Good Luck!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
I continually generate four page Word Documents with 12/14 large photos. A
business associate, with Adobe Pdf Creator, can create a Pdf file which always
comes in at 240/300kbs max. This size of file is permitted as an upload to my
business web site and often used to email my customers.

However I just can't afford to buy the software for myself and have looked at
other Pdf creating software and downloaded a number of trial programmes but
every time the file sizes are far too large. Some let you tweak the conversion
setting but some don't and some have options for screen, home printing or
professional printing sizes.

Any ideas would be very welcome as I don't mind spending £50 or so but not the
hundreds of pounds for the Adobe.

Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Thanks Doug

I have downloaded and it is tantalisingly near in that the first few have
been well under 300kb but there has been the odd one over.

I will try more documents again later or may try and see if the web host can
increase my size of upload limit by 50kb to 350kb which would sort it out.
Last time I asked it was no.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Hi Pat

Just downloaded and have tried and it seems to work but will play with it
more later. Thanks for the tip and it might be a possible answer but like
you I will still stick to Word for most of the time.

Ken

"Pat Garard" apgarard-bigpond:net:au wrote in message
G'Day Ken,

Just as there is Microsoft Office, there is also Star Office by Sun
Microsystems.

The core of Star Office is a suite of Programs known as Open Office.

Now Open Office is FREE - yes FREE.

The suite consists of programs that have a VERY FAIR degree of
compatibility with Microsoft Office. These include:
Writer (Word)
Calc (Excel)
Impress (PowerPoint)

Using Writer, you can open standard Word documents with a reasonable
degree of confidence.

(Similarly for Impress and Calc ...)

To address your issue, Open Office also has an excellent 'Export as PDF
...'
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

You're Welcome!
`[:-}
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

Just tried it to see if it reduces file size and it does between 5% and 10%
so again I am grateful to you.

Where on earth did you fathom out that tip??

Mystified - but grateful!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's an old trick used with many things, originally some of the early file
compression software when trying to get things to fit on one floppy disk.

At work the other day I received an email from a company to which they had
attached a .pdf of a brocure that was 12MB. After opening it with Acrobat
and then printing it with the PrimoPDF printer, it reduced to 175KB!
Printing both versions to a colour printer, you could not tell which printed
copy came from which.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ken Ken is offline

One for me to copy and keep in my file of "tips".
Again thank you and have a good Christmas.