Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

Default Missing labels

I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2 across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at the end
of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

I have just tried the same Excel file with a Directory type merge - it works
fine!! I really don't understand why it goes wrong with a label merge.

TIA

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2 across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at the end
of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You probably have an excess «Next Record» field. If this field is at the top
of the label, there should not be one in the first label; if it's at the
bottom, there shouldn't be one on the last label.

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2 across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at the

end
of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ab ab is offline

Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a
«Name»
«Company»
«Address1»
«Address2»
«Town»
«County»

without a «Next Record» on the last label.

I have brought the files home with me and they work fine on my own PC - I
will have to have another go on Monday when I get back to my office.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You probably have an excess «Next Record» field. If this field is at the
top
of the label, there should not be one in the first label; if it's at the
bottom, there shouldn't be one on the last label.

so
all may benefit.

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2
across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I open
the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at the

end
of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That appears to be as it should be, then, and, especially if the merge works
correctly at home, it's a mystery why it wouldn't at work.

"ab" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a
«Name»
«Company»
«Address1»
«Address2»
«Town»
«County»

without a «Next Record» on the last label.

I have brought the files home with me and they work fine on my own PC - I
will have to have another go on Monday when I get back to my office.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You probably have an excess «Next Record» field. If this field is at the
top
of the label, there should not be one in the first label; if it's at the
bottom, there shouldn't be one on the last label.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2
across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I open
the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at

the
end
of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It might help, if you are running Word 2003, if you add the mail merge
toolbar (see http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm ).

Open the merge document and ensure that the document type is set to mailing
labels. Setup the first label (without a next record field) as you want it
to appear (ignore the rest of the labels). then click the propagate button.
This will correct the label format based on what you have in that first
cell. Save the merge document and then run the merge again.

ab wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a
+Name;
+Company;
+Address1;
+Address2;
+Town;
+County;
+Postcode;+Next Record;

without a +Next Record; on the last label.

I have brought the files home with me and they work fine on my own PC
- I will have to have another go on Monday when I get back to my
office.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You probably have an excess +Next Record; field. If this field is at
the top
of the label, there should not be one in the first label; if it's at
the bottom, there shouldn't be one on the last label.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2
across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I
open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at
the end of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

Sorry for delay in saying thanks to Graham and Suzanne - I've only just had
time to try this at my office. It works fine.

Having done the labels, I would like to save a directory-style document
showing the addressees (to be amended next year, as appropriate). Is it
possible to arrange the names and addresses in a table with one cell to each
addressee? I've tried Columns but these look rather uneven and I think a
table would be easier to read.

TIA

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
It might help, if you are running Word 2003, if you add the mail merge
toolbar (see http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm ).

Open the merge document and ensure that the document type is set to
mailing labels. Setup the first label (without a next record field) as you
want it to appear (ignore the rest of the labels). then click the
propagate button. This will correct the label format based on what you
have in that first cell. Save the merge document and then run the merge
again.

ab wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a
+Name;
+Company;
+Address1;
+Address2;
+Town;
+County;
+Postcode;+Next Record;

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2
across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I
open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at
the end of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Using the same data source you used to create the labels, you can generate a
"directory" merge using columns, as you've already tried. If you want a
table, it's easier to start with a "label" merge, since that's all labels
are. Alternatively, create a "directory" merge using a single-row table with
your form fields in each cell; you'll need "Next Record" fields in the cells
after the first.

"oe" wrote in message
[...]

ab wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a
+Name;
+Company;
+Address1;
+Address2;
+Town;
+County;
+Postcode;+Next Record;

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2
across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I
open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at
the end of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

Thanks again, Suzanne

"oe" wrote in message
[...]

ab wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a
+Name;
+Company;
+Address1;
+Address2;
+Town;
+County;
+Postcode;+Next Record;

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2
across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I
open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell at
the end of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and 60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I would use the table option as it is easier to maintain and Word is happier
using tables as data sources. You will have to add a row for the field
names. However as you already have the data in Excel why not simply use the
Excel file, or copy the relevant parts of the Excel file to Word?

"oe" wrote in message
[...]

ab wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a
+Name;
+Company;
+Address1;
+Address2;
+Town;
+County;
+Postcode;+Next Record;

"oe" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Excel sheet onto Avery labels (2
across/7
down). I have 62 addresses which all appear to be correct when I
open the
"open data source" in Word. I select All and do the merge.

For some reason, some labels are missing - as far as I can tell
at the end of a sheet of labels, i.e. Recipients 15, 30, 45 and
60.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The OP already has a data source; I'm not sure why he/she is wanting to
create this additional reference document.

"oe" wrote in message
[...]

ab wrote:
Thanks, Suzanne.

My fields a