Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeR

Default Envelopes/Labels

Word 2000. I added a couple of new addresses to Contacts thru Word. When I go to the
envelope tool, select an entry for either the 'to' address or 'from' address, and click
OK, the name goes into the proper (preview) box, but the address does not. Same behaviour
if I double click the entry in the contact list.

Some older entries I have work properly.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Does the address show in Outlook contacts detailed address card view. If
not, open it there and save it again.

MikeR wrote:
Word 2000. I added a couple of new addresses to Contacts thru Word.
When I go to the envelope tool, select an entry for either the 'to'
address or 'from' address, and click OK, the name goes into the
proper (preview) box, but the address does not. Same behaviour if I
double click the entry in the contact list.
Some older entries I have work properly.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeR

Graham Mayor wrote:
Does the address show in Outlook contacts detailed address card view. If
not, open it there and save it again.

Hi Graham -
Yes it does. Further experimentation shows it seems as though it's using the business
address, not the home address. If I just enter a home address, the name goes into the
"preview" box, and a very light grey comma on the next line, as tho it's the city state
separator.
Even with a business address entered and saved, only the name pops into the 'from' address.

It also seems that a 2 night rest makes the new addresses react like the old ones.
However, just closing and reopening Word doesn't.
Eerie!
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

The Office 2000 interface between Outlook and Word had a few strange
anomalies. These seem to have been corrected in later versions. In the
meantime, do not add entries via the address book itself (always add to
Outlook) and do not change the display in the Address Book as this tends to
screw up the connection. The insertion into Word is supposed to use the
address flagged as the postal address. You can force the issue with the
following saved as an autotext entry called AddressLayout

{PR_GIVEN_NAME PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS}

You can see the full range of fields that can be used in this manner at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

MikeR wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:
Does the address show in Outlook contacts detailed address card
view. If not, open it there and save it again.

Hi Graham -
Yes it does. Further experimentation shows it seems as though it's
using the business address, not the home address. If I just enter a
home address, the name goes into the "preview" box, and a very light
grey comma on the next line, as tho it's the city state separator.
Even with a business address entered and saved, only the name pops
into the 'from' address.
It also seems that a 2 night rest makes the new addresses react like
the old ones. However, just closing and reopening Word doesn't.
Eerie!
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeR

Graham Mayor wrote:
The Office 2000 interface between Outlook and Word had a few strange
anomalies.

That's a kind way to put it.
In the meantime, do not add entries via the address book itself (always add to
Outlook)

I don't use Outlook as my mail client, and if I bring it up to add a contact, settings get
hosed elsewhere.
and do not change the display in the Address Book as this tends to
screw up the connection.

Not familiar with this. See above.
You can force the issue with the following saved as an autotext entry called AddressLayout

{PR_GIVEN_NAME PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS}

I actually ended up with this.
{PR_DISPLAY_NAME_PREFIX} {PR_GIVEN_NAME} {PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS
}{PR_LOCALITY}, {PR_STATE_OR_PROVINCE
}{PR_POSTAL_CODE}
It's definitely pulling from the business address rather than home, but at least the
cooling off period is gone. I can live with it.

You can see the full range of fields that can be used in this manner at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

Nice site. I'm fascinated by the photos. It's bookmarked now.
Thanks Graham.
Mike