Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MikroXP MikroXP is offline

Default Creating Word document of Word 97-2003 file type on the New menu i

You can Look under the office 2007 button in the upper left and save as and
the
little arrow in the drop down you will find what your looking for

--
MikroXP, Beta Testing Fool & New Stuff Addict

"Larry" wrote:

In Word 2007 on a Vista computer, the Save option has been set to save
documents as Word 97-2003 file type. But when a document is created from
the New menu, it is created as a Word 2007 document. I'm thinking of how I
could create a Word 97-2003 file type on the New menu. Maybe by creating a
new file type in TweakUI? Short of using Tweak UI, would there be any other
way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Larry Larry is offline

As I explained, I have successfully used that options/save feature to set
Word to save all documents in the Word 97-2003 file type. And that works
for creating new documents within Word. That's not the issue here.

The issue is creating a new document from the New menu in a Windows folder.
When I do that, the new document is a 2007 file type.

"Larry" wrote:

In Word 2007 on a Vista computer, the Save option has been set to save
documents as Word 97-2003 file type. But when a document is created

from
the New menu, it is created as a Word 2007 document. I'm thinking of

how I
could create a Word 97-2003 file type on the New menu. Maybe by

creating a
new file type in TweakUI? Short of using Tweak UI, would there be any

other
way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Larry,
1. You need to first have an application of an older version of
Word(97-2003), installed on your PC. If you don't, then you can not do what
you wish.
2. If you do have an older version of Word installed, then you will have to
create a shortcut that will start that version of Word, and "Pin" it to the
start menu.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Larry" wrote:

In Word 2007 on a Vista computer, the Save option has been set to save
documents as Word 97-2003 file type. But when a document is created

from
the New menu, it is created as a Word 2007 document. I'm thinking of

how I
could create a Word 97-2003 file type on the New menu. Maybe by

creating a
new file type in TweakUI? Short of using Tweak UI, would there be any

other
way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Larry Larry is offline

Your point 1 is confusing. I was already told that by going to Options,
Save I could set Word 2007 to save all documents in the Word 97-2003 file
type. I've done that and it works. That's already happening, without Word
97 being installed on the computer.

Your point 2 is also confusing. How can there be a shortcut to start an
older version of Word if that version is not on the computer?

To repeat: Word 2007 running on Vista is already saving all documents in
the Word 97-2003 file type. All that's needed now is one additional step,
to create an item on the New menu (in Explorer) that will also create a
document in the 97-2003 type. Since documents of that type already exist on
this computer, I see no reason why the New menu could not also create
documents of that type.

"Larry" wrote:

In Word 2007 on a Vista computer, the Save option has been set to save
documents as Word 97-2003 file type. But when a document is created

from
the New menu, it is created as a Word 2007 document. I'm thinking of

how I
could create a Word 97-2003 file type on the New menu. Maybe by

creating a
new file type in TweakUI? Short of using Tweak UI, would there be any

other
way of doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Larry,
Word2007 has a converter built into it, to SAVE the files in the older
versions of Word format. It can't create brand new documents/files in the
old format.

You will need a pc with the older version of Word installed to do what you
want.

"Larry" wrote in message
Your point 1 is confusing. I was already told that by going to Options,
Save I could set Word 2007 to save all documents in the Word 97-2003 file
type. I've done that and it works. That's already happening, without Word
97 being installed on the computer.

Your point 2 is also confusing. How can there be a shortcut to start an
older version of Word if that version is not on the computer?

To repeat: Word 2007 running on Vista is already saving all documents in
the Word 97-2003 file type. All that's needed now is one additional step,
to create an item on the New menu (in Explorer) that will also create a
document in the 97-2003 type. Since documents of that type already exist on
this computer, I see no reason why the New menu could not also create
documents of that type.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Larry Larry is offline

Ok, but what about this: I take a blank Word document that has been saved
in the older Word format, and I drag it to the New tab of Tweak UI.

"Larry" wrote in message
Your point 1 is confusing. I was already told that by going to Options,
Save I could set Word 2007 to save all documents in the Word 97-2003 file
type. I've done that and it works. That's already happening, without

Word
97 being installed on the computer.

Your point 2 is also confusing. How can there be a shortcut to start an
older version of Word if that version is not on the computer?

To repeat: Word 2007 running on Vista is already saving all documents in
the Word 97-2003 file type. All that's needed now is one additional step,
to create an item on the New menu (in Explorer) that will also create a
document in the 97-2003 type. Since documents of that type already exist

on
this computer, I see no reason why the New menu could not also create
documents of that type.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Larry,
You are going to have an older version of Word installed on the PC, to
create documents with those attributes. There is no way around that.

If I sent you a document that was created say in Word97, you will be able to
open it in Word2007, but you might lose some of the formatting that I
created in it. If you edit the document, then saved it in Word97/2003
format. Sent it back to me. When I opened the file, I might notice that some
of my original formatting was no longer there, and that some of the
formatting that was created in the Word2007, was not present either.

You will notice that in some of the Word newsgroups, that there is a
problem, with people using Word2007, that are having problems opening *.WPS
(MS Works) word processor documents. They need to install a converter to do
that. But I see that some are still having problems with this type of file.