Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default En Dash Does Not Print Out

Some other methods of inserting special characters are detailed in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm. The code for an en
dash in Word's Find and Replace dialog is ^=.

Are you using an unusual font that might possibly not contain an en dash?
Some older, cheap fonts don't contain the full character set.

"Chatelaine" wrote in message
I use a shortcut key to create an en dash, i.e., ctrl+num- which gives me

my
en dash. However, it does not print out, I just get the numbers squeezed
together. I have used find/replace and autoformat/autotype, but neither

of
these tools works for me. Find/replace won't allow me to place an en dash

in
the replace box. I've tried checking boxes for en dashes in both

autoformat
and autotyping, using only one of these tools at a time, and even though

they
are turned on I do not get autoformatting or autotyping--that is, during

or
after I type. I've also tried working in layout view, but that doesn't do
anything. Can someone out there help me?