Default Word only prints first page

I've been having problems with printing a friend's document in Word
2003, where it would only print the first page.

It seems different from most people who had similar problems, because
it would refuse to print other pages, even if I specified them
explicitly! It was a 32-page document, containing some tables, graphs,
etc. and a large graphic on the front page. When I tried print (to
Acrobat 7's printer driver), it simply printed the first page, and
didn't try any of the others.

Reading other postings in this and other groups, I tried a range of
solutions, but none of them worked:

- Tried specifying to print page 2-32; it said 'printing' briefly, but
didn't work on the rest of the document. It even wrote an empty PDF
file, and then deleted it, leaving nothing.
- Tried specifying *sections* 2-5, in case this was the problem -
again, nothing
- Tried specifying "Format - Columns - Columns = 1" - again, nothing
- Tried specifying Columns = 1 in the Normal.dot; again, no change. It
would not print pages 2-onwards
- Tried *deleting* the first page, and moving the document up one page.
Again, even though the first page and it's contents were completely
obliterated, it would now not print any pages.
- Tried using "Print to Paperport" (I have Paperport 10 installed),
which is a separate option on the File menu and doesn't use the normal
Printer Driver selection routine; again, nothing.

Eventually I found the following to work:

- Set Columns = 1 (as per another post somewhere in this group)
- Deleted the first page entirely (risking loss of formatting, page
numbering, etc).
- Saved the document under a new name
- Closed Word completely
- Opened the document again
- Printed to PDF successfully
- Opened the First PDFed page, and the rest of the PDF'd document, and
merged them in Acrobat.

As I say; seems many people have had similar problems, but have been
able to print pages individually, so this seems fairly uncommon - hope
this helps anyone having the same problem.

Damian