Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Captions and Renumbering

I have four graphics that I added in two rows, side-by-side (figure 1 is top
left, fig. 2 top right, fig. 3 bottom left and fig. 4 bottom right). As I
added each graphic, I added its caption. I tried to make sure the insertion
point of each graphic was somewhere after the previous one (I am using Frames
with the graphic and caption "In line with text").

Friday, the references were numbered in order, but today when I did an
update of the fields, Word renumbered them in a different order. When I move
the graphics around and update the fields, Word renumbers them randomly, NOT
in the order they were inserted or the order in which they appear in the
document.

Questions:
1. How do I ensure (if possible in Word 2003) that the graphics are inserted
in the right order so that they will be numbered in the correct sequence?

2. What is causing the random re-numbering of the graphics?

3. Sometimes the frames move to the top of the page and get stuck so that I
can't move them next to the paragraph. What setting do I need to change to
allow them to move more freely? I tried "relative to page", but it seems to
have little effect (I can move the box down one line, but no more).