Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
randycarol randycarol is offline

Default Office Word 2003 -- Auto numbering columns.

Is it possible to automatically number columns formatted two to a page -- or
must the page numbers be inserted manually after the document is complete?
Each column will actually be a separate page in a flip guide. The column
format was chosen instead of a narrow one-page format simply because we do
the copying and assembling ourselves and don't want to spend time trimming
sheets before assembling. Or, is there a much more efficient way to produce
this guide that we haven't thought of, without using a desktop publishing
program?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Use the following field construction to give you the page numbers

For the column that will become the odd pages { = { PAGE } * 2 - 1 }

For the column that will become the even pages { = { PAGE } * 2 }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use
Alt+F9 to toggle off their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"randycarol" wrote in message
Is it possible to automatically number columns formatted two to a page --
or
must the page numbers be inserted manually after the document is complete?
Each column will actually be a separate page in a flip guide. The column
format was chosen instead of a narrow one-page format simply because we do
the copying and assembling ourselves and don't want to spend time trimming
sheets before assembling. Or, is there a much more efficient way to
produce
this guide that we haven't thought of, without using a desktop publishing
program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

There is no need to use columns; instead, use the "2 pages per sheet"
setting for "Multiple pages" on the Margins tab of Page Setup. This give you
two logical pages on each sheet, and you can treat them just as you would
any other page, including numbering, page borders, headers/footers, etc.

http://word.mvps.org