Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brinton Brinton is offline

Default Default address list for mail merge

I am using Word 2003 to do a mail merge. When I select create address list it
is saved as an Access database. How can I change the default to be an Excel
file? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Sorry, I don't believe that can be done *at all* let alone as the default.
My preference is to create the Excel file first, then select it as the
record source for the merge.

Another option: Create the list as a Word Table - Either use that as the
record source or copy the table & use Edit paste Special - Text in an Excel
file if you prefer.

HINT: Just in case the "handy-dandy" data entry form is the reason you're
trying to create the new record list from within Word's merge features -
Once you type the captions in Excel leave the cell selector on the cell
below your first caption, then go to Data Form in order to add/modify your
list of records... it isn't exactly the same, but it makes it easier if
you're not very familiar with Excel (or even if you are )
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Brinton" wrote in message
news
I am using Word 2003 to do a mail merge. When I select create address list
it
is saved as an Access database. How can I change the default to be an
Excel
file? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As Bob suggests, this is not possible and the file created is not a true
Access file, but an Access compatible file. Edit it in Access and you lose
the original functionality.

Personally if creating an address list I would use Outlook rather than Excel
and for a relatively short list - maybe a hundred records or so I would use
a Word table, as mail merge is particularly comfortable with a Word table.

You can convert the original Access compatible data file to Word format
(comma delimited) by using the edit data tool on the old MailMerge Helper
which is available in all versions including the new 2007 - see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm but you would then
have to use the Word file as your data source,

Brinton wrote:
I am using Word 2003 to do a mail merge. When I select create address
list it is saved as an Access database. How can I change the default
to be an Excel file? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brinton Brinton is offline

I have a user that claims that in a previous job Word always saved her
address list to Excel when created using the data entry form. She does not
like the Access database and much prefers Excel. I could not find a way to
modify the default so I asked for help. I appreciate the response from both
you and Bob. Thanks

Brinton wrote:
I am using Word 2003 to do a mail merge. When I select create address
list it is saved as an Access database. How can I change the default
to be an Excel file? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In previous versions Word saved it to a Word table. As Graham said, Word is
quite comfortable with a table, and you avoid a lot of the connection and
formatting problems you have with Excel, but for very long/wide databases,
Excel can be more satisfactory because of its Freeze Panes capability.