Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
emjay emjay is offline

Default Word won't start

When I try to start Word 2003 I get an error message "Microsoft Word has
stopped working". I can't start it from a document either. It does start in
Safe Mode but I don't know what to look for. I've run "Detect and Repair"
and it says it's OK.
I can't find my original disc to re-install it. (I have it less than a year.)
The other Office products seem OK.
--
emjay
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
emjay emjay is offline

I did find the original disc. I uninstalled it and re-installed it and I get
the same message.
I have it less than a year - will a Microsoft professional talk to me
without charge?
--
emjay

"emjay" wrote:

When I try to start Word 2003 I get an error message "Microsoft Word has
stopped working". I can't start it from a document either. It does start in
Safe Mode but I don't know what to look for. I've run "Detect and Repair"
and it says it's OK.
I can't find my original disc to re-install it. (I have it less than a year.)
The other Office products seem OK.
--
emjay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm with particular
reference to normal.dot and any add-ins.

emjay wrote:
I did find the original disc. I uninstalled it and re-installed it
and I get the same message.
I have it less than a year - will a Microsoft professional talk to me
without charge?

When I try to start Word 2003 I get an error message "Microsoft Word
has stopped working". I can't start it from a document either. It
does start in Safe Mode but I don't know what to look for. I've run
"Detect and Repair" and it says it's OK.
I can't find my original disc to re-install it. (I have it less
than a year.) The other Office products seem OK.
--
emjay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne Twayne is offline

I did find the original disc. I uninstalled it and re-installed it
and I get the same message.
I have it less than a year - will a Microsoft professional talk to me
without charge?

When I try to start Word 2003 I get an error message "Microsoft Word
has stopped working". I can't start it from a document either. It
does start in Safe Mode but I don't know what to look for. I've run
"Detect and Repair" and it says it's OK.
I can't find my original disc to re-install it. (I have it less
than a year.) The other Office products seem OK.
--
emjay

Sounds like you might have a macro virus? Time for updated anti-virus
scans plus all the spyware/malware apps you may have.

Delete any shortcuts you may have to Word. Then delete any copy of
normal.dot that you can locate.
Delete your temp internet files and do a search/destroy on all *.tmp and
~*.* files on the drive.
See if Word will start now by going directly to your Word folder and
clicking on windword.exe.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Twayne wrote:
Sounds like you might have a macro virus? Time for updated anti-virus
scans plus all the spyware/malware apps you may have.

The chances of this are remote!

Delete any shortcuts you may have to Word. Then delete any copy of
normal.dot that you can locate.

Don't *delete* normal.dot. Rename it. Chances are that it is corrupt which
will cause the problems exhibited, but it should still be possible to
extract from it personalisations which can have taken years to create.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne Twayne is offline

Twayne wrote:
Sounds like you might have a macro virus? Time for updated
anti-virus scans plus all the spyware/malware apps you may have.

The chances of this are remote!

Agreed, and I should have said so, in addition to not making it the
first point; thanks.

Delete any shortcuts you may have to Word. Then delete any copy of
normal.dot that you can locate.

Don't *delete* normal.dot. Rename it. Chances are that it is corrupt
which will cause the problems exhibited, but it should still be
possible to extract from it personalisations which can have taken
years to create.

Also a good point; should have said "delete OR rename ... ". Renaming
is always the better way when there might be macros, whatever stored in
the template. Thanks.

Regards,

Twayne

Open Office isn't just for wimps anymore;
www.openoffice.org
check it out; you'll be glad you did
OOo is a GREAT MS Office replacement
www.openoffice.org