hstijnen

Default User comment in template to document?

Hi,
I've inserted a user comment in a template and expected to see that comment
in all documents based on that template. But alas that's not the case. I do
see the indication of the comment (invisible text), but not the comment
itself.

Does anybody know how to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Henk
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?aHN0aWpuZW4=?=,

I've inserted a user comment in a template and expected to see that comment
in all documents based on that template. But alas that's not the case. I do
see the indication of the comment (invisible text), but not the comment
itself.

Does anybody know how to accomplish this?

We need more information. Let's start with the version of Word that's
involved?

How are you creating the comments (steps and commands used)?

Could you be more specific about what you mean with "invisible text"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

hstijnen

Hello, Cindy,

The problem appears to be somewhat different. My user comment is indeed
visible in the docs based on the template. What I wanted to do is as follows:
I've in the template a bookmark to which I placed a comment (by selecting it
and Insert Comment). When creating a document on it, I want to overwrite, in
a startup macro, the text in the bookmark. However, when I simpy "goto" the
bookmark it is selected including the [...], and the bookmark gets lost when
I type some text. Therefore, after the "goto" I first diminish the range
(Shift-LeftArrow). The last character of the text in the bookmark is then
deselected. Then I type my text (the bookmark stays intact). Then I have to
delete that last character of the original text: and on that moment the
comment is in disorder!

I can go around the problem by appending a blank in the original text in the
bookmark in the template. A nicer solution would be to set the Caption of the
bookmark, but I don't know if a bookmark has such a member

Thanks for your help,
Henk

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?aHN0aWpuZW4=?=,

I've inserted a user comment in a template and expected to see that comment
in all documents based on that template. But alas that's not the case. I do
see the indication of the comment (invisible text), but not the comment
itself.

Does anybody know how to accomplish this?

We need more information. Let's start with the version of Word that's
involved?

How are you creating the comments (steps and commands used)?

Could you be more specific about what you mean with "invisible text"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Henk,

No, the bookmark has no "caption" property, I'm afraid. There is a different way
to place content "in" a bookmark than using GoTo, by using its Range.Text
property. But this wouldn't change the problem with the Comment that you're
experiencing.

My inclination would be to pick up the comment's range and text, delete it,
overwrite (and re-create) the bookmark, then recreate the comment. If you need
more help with programming this, the best place to ask would be a word.vba
newsgroup. You should find the code for assigning text to a bookmark, without
using GoTo, somewhere on the word.mvps.org website.

[...]

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)