falneeg

Default microsoft query

I need to find it in Microsoft Word (I have office 2003 student and teacher
edition), so that I can use date from excel in a word document, to avoid
re-typing it. I don't find it in any pull down menu, where is it?
--
falconworks
Pat Garard

G'Day Falneeg,

Microsoft Query is not directly accessible from Word (as it
is from Excel).

However, you can locate MSQRY32.EXE in ...
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
.... for Office 2003 (OFFICE10 for Xp).

You can create a shortcut to it, and run it as a standalone
program.

If you do this, fire it up and begin by clicking the Leftmost
button on its toolbar.

When you have the data you need, use the mouse to select
the rows you want, then EditCopy (or CTRL-C) - use
EditCopy Special to include Column headings.

Paste into Word to see a tabbed list.
Select the list and EITHER
insert appropriate Tab Stops, OR
TableConvertText to Table.

Before closing MSQuery, you can save the Query for future
use.

Most users would probably use Excel/MSQuery to retrieve
the data and then copy/paste from Excel to Word.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"falneeg" wrote in message
I need to find it in Microsoft Word (I have office 2003 student and teacher
edition), so that I can use date from excel in a word document, to avoid
re-typing it. I don't find it in any pull down menu, where is it?
--
falconworks

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZmFsbmVlZw==?=,

I need to find it in Microsoft Word (I have office 2003 student and teacher
edition), so that I can use date from excel in a word document, to avoid
re-typing it.

Easier than this would be to copy/paste the range of cells in Excel?

Or, if you want to make a data selection (and this isn't mail merge) use the
Insert database command on the Data toolbar. The second step in the dialog box
that follows will let you set query options. If you explicitly want to use MS
Query, you'll need to activate "Confirm conversions on open" in
Tools/Options/General, then choose an ODBC connection to the Excel data.

If you want a dynamic link to the data (so if you change the information in
Excel it updates in Word) be sure to activate the checkbox in the very last
step ("insert as field").

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org