Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Rob is offline

Default why is word 2007 so slow to start up?

I am using Word 2007 on a decent pc with good ram and a local printer and do
not understand why it takes from 1-2 minutes to start up Word. I have
googled this and disabled all add-ins, defragged my hard drive, uninstalled
and re-installed my printer driver, all to no avail. Is there anything else
I can try? Also pulled down the latest Office service pack.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

What about checking into your AV options?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Rob" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007 on a decent pc with good ram and a local printer and
do
not understand why it takes from 1-2 minutes to start up Word. I have
googled this and disabled all add-ins, defragged my hard drive,
uninstalled
and re-installed my printer driver, all to no avail. Is there anything
else
I can try? Also pulled down the latest Office service pack.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Rob is offline

Hi JoAnn,

Not sure what an AV option is, but I was able to fix the problem by
following instructions on disabling a Norton Antivirus 'feature'. This is
funny, since I never actually installed Norton Antivirus. I always said 'No'
when it prompted to install (it came with the pc)

Per the other post, I opened up a command prompt, typed regsvr32 /u
"C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\officeav.dll"
and that is all it took! I closed Word and re-opened it in one second,
compared to the two minutes it took prior!

Opening up files is also just as quick, and used to be just as slow. I wish
more people knew about this fix. Could not find this solution on Google,
though I did see many posters blaming MS for the slowness.

Thanks for your fast reply, regardless!

Rob

"Rob" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007 on a decent pc with good ram and a local printer and
do
not understand why it takes from 1-2 minutes to start up Word. I have
googled this and disabled all add-ins, defragged my hard drive,
uninstalled
and re-installed my printer driver, all to no avail. Is there anything
else
I can try? Also pulled down the latest Office service pack.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Option, feature..........tomayto, tomahto. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]