Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scribe6 Scribe6 is offline

Default Default Printer Not Resetting - Word 2003

User has 2 printers installed on the PC, 1 local and 1 network. Her default
system printer is the local printer. She will print document A on the
Network printer, because she needs several copies, and then go to print a
single copy of document B. When she prints document B, it will print to the
network printer instead of the local printer.

We tried: Turning off Word Editor for Outlook, Closing Word between prints,
Reinstall/Repair of Office. When you close and reopen word, it prints to the
network default. We haven't seen any problems with any of the other office
products, like Outlook or Excel, just Word.

The PC is running Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP2. I did find that Word
is supposed to hold the printer information between prints, but this seems a
little ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Whenever you change the printer in Word's Print dialog, the newly selected
printer becomes the active printer until you change it again or restart Word
(at which time the Windows default printer again becomes active). There is
no way around this behavior if you use the FilePrintDefault button on the
Standard toolbar. You can, however, add a button that will change printers,
print a document, and change printers back, allowing you to print a specific
document from a specific printer. This does require a macro. See
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm

"Scribe6" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scribe6 Scribe6 is offline

That's what I was afraid of. It is what it is, right? Thanks for the
direction. Hope you avoided the bad weather last night near Prattville.

"Scribe6" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or, you can Customize your toolbar to replace the "Print" button
(which sends your document to the printer without giving you the
chance to change anything) with the "Print ..." button, which has the
same icon but is the equivalent of Ctrl-P, opening the Print dialog so
you can specify everything about the print job.

"Scribe6" wrote in message

[...]

little ridiculous. *Any help would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, luckily we're far from Prattville, though I understand there was some
damage down at the beaches here. We got a lot of wind, some electrical
activity, and what seemed like torrential rain (because it was blowing
sideways) but turned out to be less than half an inch.