Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
novice novice is offline

Default read only documents

hi am trying to save a document but it tells me that it's read only -does
that mean I can't do alterationsetc then save it the send to cd rw? am new
to this and it's all overwhelming...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It means that you have to change the file attributes before you edit the
document.

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"novice" wrote in message
hi am trying to save a document but it tells me that it's read only -does
that mean I can't do alterationsetc then save it the send to cd rw? am
new
to this and it's all overwhelming...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

First of all *never* attempt to save directly to or Open a file from a CD,
DVD, floppy or any removable media. Always copy/save to a hard disk then use
Windows Explorer to copy/move the file.

If the file is Read Only then you cannot save changes to that file. What you
can do is Save As a different file, but again, not directly to removable
media.

Also, if you Opened the file from a CD/DVD, *that's* why it opens as Read
Only. Copy the file to your hard drive & open that copy. If it still opens
as Read Only, close the file, right+click the file icon in a file management
window, select Properties form the shortcut menu & remove the Read Only
check. You should then be able to edit the file & save changes to it.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac