Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
parkin_m parkin_m is offline

Default Template inside a template?

I am not sure whether or not this is in the correct place or not, hopefully
it is!

My situation: We have letter headed paper here in the office in which we
print onto. We have a header and footer set up so that it prints on
infomation over this paper. We have around 100 template files for all
different kinds of documents and the company will now be getting new letter
headed paper and this means that I will need to change the size/posistion of
each template. My question is this:

If i were making a website in php or something I would create a header and
footer to the website and save them seperately, I could then "include them"
inside of all the documents that needed them. Then when I want to change the
header for all documents I just change the one file that I want to include -
is it possible to do this in Word?

We are running Word 2002 SP-2
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?cGFya2luX20=?=,

My situation: We have letter headed paper here in the office in which we
print onto. We have a header and footer set up so that it prints on
infomation over this paper. We have around 100 template files for all
different kinds of documents and the company will now be getting new letter
headed paper and this means that I will need to change the size/posistion of
each template. My question is this:

If i were making a website in php or something I would create a header and
footer to the website and save them seperately, I could then "include them"
inside of all the documents that needed them. Then when I want to change the
header for all documents I just change the one file that I want to include -
is it possible to do this in Word?

Yes, you can do this with Word. Create a document to hold the text you want to
link in. Create the text (it doesn't have to be in the header footer - but make
sure you use the appropriate styles!). Select each separate element (header,
footer) and bookmark it (Insert/Bookmark).

In the templates, remove what's in the header/footer, then Insert/File. Click
the "Range" button and enter the bookmark name for the element you want to
bring across. Use the dropdown arrow next to the Insert button to link in the
information.

The end result should be an IncludeText field that links to the source
document. You can see this (and edit it, if need be) by pressing Alt+F9
(toggles field codes on/off).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
parkin_m parkin_m is offline

Fantastic, great response.

Just as a sid problem that I am sure I can fix with a little bit of playing
- are there any known problems with importing a table with bookmarks in -
into the header?
( When I do this the table is a different size etc)

Thanks again Cindy

Mike

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?cGFya2luX20=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?cGFya2luX20=?=,

Just as a sid problem that I am sure I can fix with a little bit of playing
- are there any known problems with importing a table with bookmarks in -
into the header?
( When I do this the table is a different size etc)

Eh? This isn't something I'd expect. Is it possible that the space available
in the header (margin settings) is different than in the source document? And
the table's AutoFit is set to "FitToWindow"? I'm guessing it may be something
along these lines...