Tom Smith

Default Putting "New" command on button bar

Word 2003 under Win 2000 pro.

I've just upgraded from Word XP. In XP there was a handy task pane, which I
put on my standard button bar. I accessed it using Tools|Customize, off the
"File" listing; it was listed there as New . . ., and it brought up recent
files as well as options to open general templates.

I can't find its analog in word 2003. the closest thing seems to be "Getting
Started," which doesn't have the options I'm used to. Does this function
still exist in Word 2003 (and where is it)? Failing that, is is possible to
modify a task pane so that it will show the things I want?

Thx. TomS

Tom Smith

Yah, I did find that. Problem is that it doesn't also have the recently
opened Word files that XP version did, which I found quite handy. Whereas
"Getting Started" has that but not the other options . . .

But thanks for your help. T
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The task pane you want is the New Document task pane, and your New...

button
should still open it (as does File | New...).

so
all may benefit.

"Tom Smith" wrote in message
Word 2003 under Win 2000 pro.

I've just upgraded from Word XP. In XP there was a handy task pane,

which
put on my standard button bar. I accessed it using Tools|Customize, off

the
"File" listing; it was listed there as New . . ., and it brought up

recent
files as well as options to open general templates.

I can't find its analog in word 2003. the closest thing seems to be

"Getting
Started," which doesn't have the options I'm used to. Does this function
still exist in Word 2003 (and where is it)? Failing that, is is possible

modify a task pane so that it will show the things I want?

Thx. TomS

The MRU list is duplicated at the bottom of the File menu (only thing I ever
use, since I rarely use task panes at all).

"Tom Smith" wrote in message
Yah, I did find that. Problem is that it doesn't also have the recently
opened Word files that XP version did, which I found quite handy. Whereas
"Getting Started" has that but not the other options . . .

But thanks for your help. T
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The task pane you want is the New Document task pane, and your New...

button
should still open it (as does File | New...).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Tom Smith" wrote in message
Word 2003 under Win 2000 pro.

I've just upgraded from Word XP. In XP there was a handy task pane,

which
put on my standard button bar. I accessed it using Tools|Customize,

off
the
"File" listing; it was listed there as New . . ., and it brought up

recent
files as well as options to open general templates.

I can't find its analog in word 2003. the closest thing seems to be

"Getting
Started," which doesn't have the options I'm used to. Does this

function
still exist in Word 2003 (and where is it)? Failing that, is is

possible
modify a task pane so that it will show the things I want?

Thx. TomS

Tom Smith

Yah, what I wanted was the combination of MRU and a link to the templates,
which pretty much covered my needs when going to work. It's a minor enough
loss.

Do you know, though, whether it's possible to modify the content of Task
Panes? Or where else I might inquire? thx again. T

"Tom Smith" wrote in message
Word 2003 under Win 2000 pro.

I've just upgraded from Word XP. In XP there was a handy task pane,

which
put on my standard button bar. I accessed it using Tools|Customize,

off
the
"File" listing; it was listed there as New . . ., and it brought up

recent
files as well as options to open general templates.

I can't find its analog in word 2003. the closest thing seems to be
"Getting
Started," which doesn't have the options I'm used to. Does this

function
still exist in Word 2003 (and where is it)? Failing that, is is

possible
modify a task pane so that it will show the things I want?

Thx. TomS

There's a KB article “HOW TO: Edit the Most Recently Used Template List in
the New Document Task Pane in Word 2002” at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288353, but this probably won't be relevant
because it addresses the Word 2002 task pane, which is what you liked.