Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Default Cross Ref & Fig No

In Insert/References, there is figure-table number command. Aslo Inside
Cross-reference again figure number and table number exists. Are they same?
For Figure number, which one is better?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Insert | Reference menu does not by default include a figure number or
table number command, so I assume you are referring to the Caption command,
which inserts a figure or table number. Once you have inserted the caption,
then you can use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to insert a
cross-reference to the figure number or table number in that caption.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
In Insert/References, there is figure-table number command. Aslo Inside
Cross-reference again figure number and table number exists. Are they

same?
For Figure number, which one is better?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

The word I am using is a Japanese. I can read & understand commands but when
I want to post a question I have to translate by myself to Englsih. I think
that is one of the reasons I couldn't catch the difference between Caption
and cross-reference. anyway thanks for your help.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The Insert | Reference menu does not by default include a figure number or
table number command, so I assume you are referring to the Caption command,
which inserts a figure or table number. Once you have inserted the caption,
then you can use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to insert a
cross-reference to the figure number or table number in that caption.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
In Insert/References, there is figure-table number command. Aslo Inside
Cross-reference again figure number and table number exists. Are they

same?
For Figure number, which one is better?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

I have 2 questions regarding my previous post:
1- Is it necessary/good to make a link or sort of association between
caption and figure?
2- I defined a caption for a fig (Fig. 1 Different kinds of Spectrum) and
cross-referenced it in the body of my text. In the body text both Fig.1 and
explanation after that "Different kinds of Spectrum", comes. Is it necessary?
Is it possible to exclude the explanation and only bring the Fig. 1?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The Insert | Reference menu does not by default include a figure number or
table number command, so I assume you are referring to the Caption command,
which inserts a figure or table number. Once you have inserted the caption,
then you can use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to insert a
cross-reference to the figure number or table number in that caption.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
In Insert/References, there is figure-table number command. Aslo Inside
Cross-reference again figure number and table number exists. Are they

same?
For Figure number, which one is better?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Cross-reference dialog, choose "Only label and number" instead of
"Entire caption."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The Insert | Reference menu does not by default include a figure number

or
table number command, so I assume you are referring to the Caption

command,
which inserts a figure or table number. Once you have inserted the

caption,
then you can use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to insert a
cross-reference to the figure number or table number in that caption.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
In Insert/References, there is figure-table number command. Aslo

Inside
Cross-reference again figure number and table number exists. Are they

same?
For Figure number, which one is better?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Thanks suzanne. It worked.
2 more questions in this regard

1- Top/buttom
That dialog box has another option which is top/buttom. Is this only
refering to Fig. on "top" or "buttom"? If it is so, does it mean that if I
change the place of figure from buttom of the reference to top, then the
cross reference will automatically change?

2- associate a figure with its caption
Which command controls the "keep together" of a caption and its figure?

PS) Recently For some replies the "Notify me of replies" service doesn't
work with gmail. I am late in reading the replies.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have a graphic (or other object) selected when you insert a caption,
the "top" or "bottom" option will put the caption above or below the
selected graphic. If the graphic is In Line With Text, the caption will also
be in an ordinary text paragraph, but if the graphic is wrapped, the caption
will be inserted in a text box, which is a Very Bad Idea because Word can't
see text in text boxes for purposes of generating cross-references or a
Table of Figures. If both graphic and caption are inline, format the
paragraph that comes first as "Keep with next," and they will stay together.
If you must wrap text around the graphic and caption, insert them both in a
frame and wrap the text around that.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Dear Suzanne
Thanks for your informative comments all the time.
Sorry if this question seams very simple but how can I insert or input an
object and its caption inside a frame. I try but can't suceed.
For object I simply drag the object to inside the frame but there is no
relation between them and moving the frame, doesn't bring the object.
For Caption, paragraph end mark stays at top of frame where objects exists,
I can't bring it to buttom of frame. Puting some eneters is also doen't help
and is not a good idea.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Just forgot to mention that, after dragging the object inside the frame, it
is impossible to choose it.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Kobe University, Kobe, Japan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A wrapped object cannot be inserted into a frame. You have probably dragged
it *behind* the frame. If your object is inline and your caption is also
inline (plain text, not in a text box), then you can select the object and
caption together and use Insert Frame to put them both into the same frame.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The Insert | Reference menu does not by default include a figure

number
or
table number command, so I assume you are referring to the

Caption
command,
which inserts a figure or table number. Once you have inserted

the
caption,
then you can use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to insert

cross-reference to the figure number or table number in that

caption.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Khoshravan" wrote in