Graham

Default Macro or drop down list ?

I have a fairly complex mail merge master that extracts data from an Excell
workbook-That works fine!
With 50+ sheets in the workbook, I need to edit the MM Master with 4 key
items of information prior to completing the mailmerge of each sheet.
I have these 50+ X 4 items of information stored on a separate worksheet.
What is the best method of inserting these four items of key information
into my MMM to save much time, and more importantly avoid error when typing
these in manually?
My knowledge of both the above options is NIL- So please keep it as simple
as possible ? Many Thanks
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?R3JhaGFt?=,

I have a fairly complex mail merge master that extracts data from an Excell
workbook-That works fine!
With 50+ sheets in the workbook, I need to edit the MM Master with 4 key
items of information prior to completing the mailmerge of each sheet.
I have these 50+ X 4 items of information stored on a separate worksheet.
What is the best method of inserting these four items of key information
into my MMM to save much time, and more importantly avoid error when typing
these in manually?
My knowledge of both the above options is NIL- So please keep it as simple
as possible ?

Based on what you tell us, I'm thinking a LINK field could be what you need.
Copy each of the four sets (cells?) of information for one sheet, go to
Edit/Paste Special in Word; activate "link" and choose "unformatted text".

If that looks pretty much like what you need, press Alt+F9 to look at the LINK
field code. You should see it references the sheetname!r1c1 cell. In Excel,
assign a range name to each cell that clearly identifies what it is
(datasheet1info1, for example). Now substitute the range names for the cell
references in the LINK fields.

When you merge to a different sheet, all you need to do is change the 1 to a 2
for datasheet (for example) for the four Link fields. This can be done quickly
using Find/Replace.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Graham

Fabulous! Works a treat - though pressing Alt -F9 was a bit scary!!!
I didn't get the bit about range names-but I'm happy with it as it is. By
keeping the source file open, I can quickly check which Row to change to for
the Find/Replace option.
Can I get the Links to auto-update once I've changed them, or does this stil
have to be done manually?
Once again many thanks - You've made a tedious job much quicker and avoided
the problem of typos.

"Graham" wrote:

Cindy, Many thanks for your prompt reply. I'll try to follow your
instructions and let you know how I get on!!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?R3JhaGFt?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?R3JhaGFt?=,

pressing Alt -F9 was a bit scary!!!

Yes, the first couple of times it is a shock to the system. I probably should
include a warning about "don't try if you're faint of heart" g

Can I get the Links to auto-update once I've changed them, or does this stil
have to be done manually?

Ctrl+A (select all) then F9 (update fields) is probably the best way to go. The
automatic update really only works when the application you've linked in sends
a message that something has changed.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org