Ed

Default Help getting size box on pasted-in tables?

I generate a lot of tables in Excel and paste them into Word (using Excel
and Word 2000). I've gone through several methods of trying to do this,
most driven by the size and functionality of the table after it's pasted in.
I can paste in an Excel table, and it becomes a Word table, but often the
size is way too big.

I've been doing this for years, and I have just now discovered the little
sizing box in the lower right corner of a table!! This could be great -
except for one thing. When I paste in a table that overflows the right
margin, I can't get to the sizing box! Can someone give me tips on how to
manage this, either in the document or with VBA, to get a handle on this
handle when it's off the edge?

Ed

Luc

Ed,
Have you tried Table - Table Autoformat - Autofit to window. Does that help?
Luc
"Ed" schreef in bericht
I generate a lot of tables in Excel and paste them into Word (using Excel
and Word 2000). I've gone through several methods of trying to do this,
most driven by the size and functionality of the table after it's pasted
in.
I can paste in an Excel table, and it becomes a Word table, but often the
size is way too big.

I've been doing this for years, and I have just now discovered the little
sizing box in the lower right corner of a table!! This could be great -
except for one thing. When I paste in a table that overflows the right
margin, I can't get to the sizing box! Can someone give me tips on how
manage this, either in the document or with VBA, to get a handle on this
handle when it's off the edge?

Ed

Ed

I selected the whole table and pulled up the AutoFormat menu, cleared all
the special formatting checkboxes, selected (none) from the drop down, and
checked AutoFit. When I hit OK, it pulled in the right margin to fit on the
page, but totally screwed up my cell merges.

I then selected the whole table, and from the Table menu selected
AutoFitAutoFit to Window. There was no noticeable change.

Ed

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Luc

Ed,
Just read your mail again and noticed you mention using Word 2000. I am
using Word 2003 here and it has been quite some time since I used this
version so forgive me if I am wrong but I do not seem to recall Word 2000
even had a resizing box. I will be able to test on Word 2000 version in a
couple of days, so I'll report back if no-one comes up with an answer till
then.

Am I understanding correctly when I say that you select your table in Excel
and copy/paste in to Word. That this table exceeds the right margin and you
cannot get to the last column to resize.

It seems to me that you could try :

a) switching to normal view, this will give you a horizontal scrollbar at
the bottom of your screen. Use it and drag till the last column comes in
sight. In the ruler drag the last column marker to fit your page.
b) double clicking the left vertical borderline of the first column of your
table, that should autofit all columns to fit their contents.

Luc

"Ed" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Ed

Luc:

Thanks for staying with me. I have checked this a bit further, and I don't
think it's what I thought it was (if that makes any sense).

I had created an oversize page using Page Setup, and pasted the table into
it using Ctrl+C in Excel and Ctrl+V in Word. I got a table that had all the
formatting of the Excel table, especially the merged cells. (Most of the
time when an Excel-to-Word paste failed, it was in unmerging cells, screwing
up my columns.) When I moused over the table, I noticed the box in the
lower right corner. I checked it and found that it resized the table. But,
because it was oversized and landscaped, I was looking at less than 50%
zoom, and I think there were some things I didn't notice right away.

I did not notice that the columns were resizing, but the text was staying
the same. I wrongfully assumed that this gave me a table that would scale
as a graphic, but still be editable as a table. As I played with it a bit
more in a closer zoom, I discovered this was not true.

So I guess my dream answer is not there after all. I'm down to one of three
edit; Copy as Picture from Excel and paste into Word, which truncates the
width if its beyond the page margins; and paste as a Metafile, which leaves
me with a bunch of lines and text boxes and requires way to much work to
ever edit again.

Would be nice if there was a simple Excel-to-Word utility. Maybe I'll
invent one and make millions. Another dream . . . 8)

Ed