Treesy

Default Keep document from being deleted??

Is there a way I can protect a document from being deleted? I have a form
that is protected so people can use the form. But someone in the office
keeps deleting it and they don't know how they are doing it. They swear they
have never seen a dialog box that asks them if they are sure they want to
delete it but the form keeps disappearing.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Joey

In windows explorer, browse to the document, right-click that form document,
go to properties, tick under "Attributes" the file to be "Read Only", then
click apply. When you want to amend the form document you have to follow the
same procedure and untick "Read Only" and apply your changes.

"Treesy" wrote:

Is there a way I can protect a document from being deleted? I have a form
that is protected so people can use the form. But someone in the office
keeps deleting it and they don't know how they are doing it. They swear they
have never seen a dialog box that asks them if they are sure they want to
delete it but the form keeps disappearing.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Treesy

I tried that and while it didn't allow me to save over the document, I was
still able to delete the document.... Any other suggestions? Perhaps
something our IT Department can do?

Thanks for the help!

"Treesy" wrote:

Is there a way I can protect a document from being deleted? I have a form
that is protected so people can use the form. But someone in the office
keeps deleting it and they don't know how they are doing it. They swear they
have never seen a dialog box that asks them if they are sure they want to
delete it but the form keeps disappearing.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Jay Freedman

If the document is stored on a drive that's formatted with NTFS (the
advanced file system used by Windows NT, 2000, XP, etc. but not by Windows
98), the whole folder can be set to give read access but not write or delete
access. Certain individuals or groups (such as administrators) can be given
full access rights, but everyone else won't be able to zap the files.
Certainly, talk to the IT Dept. -- they can at least tell you whether and
how you can do it yourself.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman