Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Lynn Tipping Rae Lynn Tipping is offline

Default Break out Index fields ( {xe ) into separate field in Excel or Acc

We use a Word document that is a table and uses index coding. The process
that is using this document has grown from needing a simple table to needing
an Access database. Is there a way to copy the index data from Word into an
Access database?

There is only one column (Issue) in the Word table that uses index coding.
I want the Access database to keep that data in two columns: Issue text,
Issue index

Can someone suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Rae Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UmFlIEx5bm4gVGlwcGluZw==?=,

We use a Word document that is a table and uses index coding. The process
that is using this document has grown from needing a simple table to needing
an Access database. Is there a way to copy the index data from Word into an
Access database?

There is only one column (Issue) in the Word table that uses index coding.
I want the Access database to keep that data in two columns: Issue text,
Issue index

I'm not sure what you mean by "index coding" (I first thought you were referring
to Word's Index fields, but on re-reading I suspect not). But see if this works

1. Select the table
2. Table/Convert/Table to Text. Select a delimter (Tab is usually good)
3. Save the document as "Plain text"

The result should be a delimited text file that Access can import into a table.

You should only run into problems if ENTER has been pressed in any of the table
cells. Word insists on record delimiters being a paragraph mark (what you get if
you press Enter). If it has, you need to run Edit/Replace and replace ^p with a
space or some other character.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This method will select all your XE fields, though, as Cindy divines, this
is probably not what you want.

1. Display hidden text so that your XE fields are displayed.

2. Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog.

3. In the "Find what" box, type ^19 XE.

4. Check the box for "Highlight all items found."

5. Click Find All.

6. Word will select all the XE fields.

7. Click on the document title bar to transfer focus from the Find dialog to
the document window.

8. Press Ctrl+C to copy the selected text.

9. Paste it into another document and manipulate as desired.

"Rae Lynn Tipping" wrote in
message ...
We use a Word document that is a table and uses index coding. The process
that is using this document has grown from needing a simple table to

needing
an Access database. Is there a way to copy the index data from Word into

an
Access database?

There is only one column (Issue) in the Word table that uses index coding.
I want the Access database to keep that data in two columns: Issue text,
Issue index

Can someone suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Rae Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Lynn Tipping Rae Lynn Tipping is offline

Default Break out Index fields ( {xe ) into separate field in Excel or

I am making progress, but I'm still not getting the results I want.

I may be using the term incorrectly, but I used the term "index coding" to
mean the fields that indicate the index data. Like this: {xe
"Electricity:manufacturing exemption"} I also believe that to be called an
index field.

Thanks to your help, I have been able to isolate and copy those fields into
a new document, but they are still acting like fields. I want them to be
plain text. I have tried Ctrl-Shift-F9, but that had no apparent affect.

How can I get plain text without any of the special, hidden codes/field
markers?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah, okay, let's see what might work. In your new document that contains just
the XE fields, and using Find All again:

1. In the "Find what" box, type "*" (including the quotation marks).

2. Check the box for "Highlight all items found."

3. Click More to expand the dialog and check "Use wildcards."

4. Click Find All.

5. Copy the text as before and paste into a new document.

"Rae Lynn Tipping" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This method will select all your XE fields, though, as Cindy divines,

this
is probably not what you want.

1. Display hidden text so that your XE fields are displayed.

2. Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog.

3. In the "Find what" box, type ^19 XE.

4. Check the box for "Highlight all items found."

5. Click Find All.

6. Word will select all the XE fields.

7. Click on the document title bar to transfer focus from the Find

dialog to
the document window.

8. Press Ctrl+C to copy the selected text.

9. Paste it into another document and manipulate as desired.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Rae Lynn Tipping" wrote in
message ...
We use a Word document that is a table and uses index coding. The

process
that is using this document has grown from needing a simple table to

needing
an Access database. Is there a way to copy the index data from Word

into
an
Access database?

There is only one column (Issue) in the Word table that uses index

coding.
I want the Access database to keep that data in two columns: Issue

text,
Issue index

Can someone suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Rae Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Lynn Tipping Rae Lynn Tipping is offline

Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

That did the trick.
Thanks so much for sticking with me.

Rae Lynn