Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VAS VAS is offline

Default sequential table and figure formatting

I have figured out how to make a toc over multiple documents using RD codes,
but all the literature I have found so far does not really say how to do the
same thing with a SEQ field. I need to renumber all the table and figures in
each doc (except the first one) but when i try to do this manually it really
causes problems.
So I guess my question is twofold:
How to number the tables and figures sequentially over several documents and
then how to create a list of figures and tables in a master toc.
I'm working on a PC with Word 2002
Thanks
Vikki
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Vikki

VAS wrote:
I have figured out how to make a toc over multiple documents using RD codes,
but all the literature I have found so far does not really say how to do the
same thing with a SEQ field. I need to renumber all the table and figures in
each doc (except the first one) but when i try to do this manually it really
causes problems.

Define "manually"? Setting the first SEQ field in each file to start at
a given value would be what I would expect. The only "problem" with this
approach is that, well, if you change the number of tables/figures in
the file before it, you'll have to do it again.

ISTR there's macro code posted in the Usenet or WWW which automates
this, so that's it's really only a matter of clicking a button and the
code runs through your documents and does the work.

So I guess my question is twofold:
How to number the tables and figures sequentially over several documents and
then how to create a list of figures and tables in a master toc.
I'm working on a PC with Word 2002

"Master Document" is a Word feature that should only be handled with
great care, and only let loose on copies of your work (and all the usual
caveats/warnings apply, articles pointed to frequently in most "forums"
dealing with the subject, try .longdocuments maybe.

In short: If you are using RD fields to compile your own "central"
document, it is up to yourself or your code to ensure that all numbering
strings are correct. If you use a real Master Document, this should all
work out of the box (but it probably takes a "Bachelor degree in Word"
to get it right ... :-)).

Greetinx
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VAS VAS is offline

Thank you for your reply, and after throwing away some dead brain cells I
figured out how to change the sequence #s in the docs by using the \r switch
at each beginning figure and table. I don't expect the doc to change in the
future, so doing it this way will work. I downloaded a Sequential field list
macro from Greg Maxey's site, but don't know if this is the one you are
referring to below.

I only meant "master doc" in that I have a doc that contains all the front
matter with the TOC. Wrong word, I have read enough warnings against Master
Docs to know not to try it. I have enough headaches with the docs I work with
as it is.

My problem now is that I finally got everything to work, created a TOC,
Figures, and Tables, but then the thing stopped working and so I'm now trying
to create it again. But everytime I try to create the {RD} field, it
disappears as soon as I type the D. I am following Jonathan West's template
for creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents. It worked fine,
now it doesn't.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Vikki