Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Goss Anne Goss is offline

Default copy a field result into a footer of a document

I'm creating a template for my tutors. I have fill in fields (I'm not using a
user form). The fill in fields are on the title page. One is for the course
name another for the author and another for the version number (manually done
not seq). I want to copy the results into my footer. If I copy the fields
into the footer then the tutors get the same questions twice...ie need to
fill in twice.

My question is how do I copy only the results into the footer? Do I put a
bookmark in the fields I want to copy and then copy the bookmarks or will
that again result in double fill-in questions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The easiest way to do this and have it update automatically is to format
each fill-in field with a unique character style name created for the
purpose (the style layout can be exactly the same as the underlying text -
only the names being different) You can then use a Styleref fields to
reproduce the text in these styles in the footer.

If you use bookmarks and ref fields you will have to update the fields and
then you would have to use macro code to ensure only the associated ref
fields are updated or you will get a new raft of prompts.

Anne Goss wrote:
I'm creating a template for my tutors. I have fill in fields (I'm not
using a user form). The fill in fields are on the title page. One is
for the course name another for the author and another for the
version number (manually done not seq). I want to copy the results
into my footer. If I copy the fields into the footer then the tutors
get the same questions twice...ie need to fill in twice.

My question is how do I copy only the results into the footer? Do I
put a bookmark in the fields I want to copy and then copy the
bookmarks or will that again result in double fill-in questions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

After you've bookmarked each of the FILLIN fields, insert cross-references to
those bookmarks in the footer.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anne Goss" wrote:

I'm creating a template for my tutors. I have fill in fields (I'm not using a
user form). The fill in fields are on the title page. One is for the course
name another for the author and another for the version number (manually done
not seq). I want to copy the results into my footer. If I copy the fields
into the footer then the tutors get the same questions twice...ie need to
fill in twice.

My question is how do I copy only the results into the footer? Do I put a
bookmark in the fields I want to copy and then copy the bookmarks or will
that again result in double fill-in questions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

REF fields in footers may not work as they will not update automatically.
They will only update if you force the whole to update or create a new
document from a template.

"Anne Goss" wrote:

I'm creating a template for my tutors. I have fill in fields (I'm
not using a user form). The fill in fields are on the title page.
One is for the course name another for the author and another for
the version number (manually done not seq). I want to copy the
results into my footer. If I copy the fields into the footer then
the tutors get the same questions twice...ie need to fill in twice.

My question is how do I copy only the results into the footer? Do I
put a bookmark in the fields I want to copy and then copy the
bookmarks or will that again result in double fill-in questions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The easiest way to do this and have it update automatically is to format
each fill-in field with a unique character style name created for the
purpose (the style layout can be exactly the same as the underlying text -
only the names being different) You can then use a Styleref fields to
reproduce the text in these styles in the footer.

Yes, this would of course be easier. Good point.

If you use bookmarks and ref fields you will have to update the fields and
then you would have to use macro code to ensure only the associated ref
fields are updated or you will get a new raft of prompts.

But this would be a potential problem in any document that has other fields
than FILLIN fields. For REF fields, though, it would not be a problem, since
they update on printing or previewing, assuming that the option to update
fields on print is turned off (which it ought to be in a document using
FILLIN fields anyway).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Anne Goss wrote:
I'm creating a template for my tutors. I have fill in fields (I'm not
using a user form). The fill in fields are on the title page. One is
for the course name another for the author and another for the
version number (manually done not seq). I want to copy the results
into my footer. If I copy the fields into the footer then the tutors
get the same questions twice...ie need to fill in twice.

My question is how do I copy only the results into the footer? Do I
put a bookmark in the fields I want to copy and then copy the
bookmarks or will that again result in double fill-in questions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Stefan Blom wrote:
But this would be a potential problem in any document that has other
fields than FILLIN fields. For REF fields, though, it would not be a
problem, since they update on printing or previewing, assuming that
the option to update fields on print is turned off (which it ought to
be in a document using FILLIN fields anyway).

Unlike styleref fields REF will not update in the header/footer
*automatically* if you just change the bookmarked text (other than by
updating the lot or by creating a new document from a template containing
the fields).

I am sure you know all this, but for the benefit of the OP put a fill-in
field in a document, bookmark it and insert a REF field both in the header
and the body of the document. Insert a styleref field relating to the style
of the fill-in field. Put your cursor in the fill-in field and press F9 to
update. Only the styleref field will reflect the changes.

If you use form fields to gather the data, even checking calculate on exit
will not force an update in a REF field in the header/footer - you would
have to use an update macro on exit from the field. By printing or
previewing you are effectively forcing an update.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not sure how this discussion became so complicated... :-)

My point was that using a *macro* wouldn't be necessary, but, indeed, using
REF fields does involve an extra step (that is, somehow trigger an update of
the REF fields).

In other words, for automatic updates, use STYLEREF rather than REF fields.
(And, in a protected form, it is absolutely crucial to do so, because a form
with REF fields *would* require the use of a macro.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Stefan Blom wrote:
(And, in a protected form, it is absolutely crucial to do so,
because a form with REF fields *would* require the use of a macro.)

Only if they are in the header footer - otherwise calculate on exit will
force an update

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Of course. Thanks for clarifying this...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP