Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert McN Robert McN is offline

Default Getting table to break in mid-row

I am working on document that ought to only be two pages, but it always
prints as three because, the text in one row is quite voluminous. In the
table option, I have check the box for "allow row to break across pages," but
despite this, on page 1, there are two skinny rows and then a huge blank gap
on the page, page 2 is completely full, and page three has a little text in
one or two skinny rows. Can I force the table to break in mid-row and fully
use the entire sheet of paper, thereby turning a 3 page document into a 2
page one? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that no row has the "Keep with next" option selected (in
Format | Paragraph) and that no row has an exact height (in Table |
Table Properties, Row tab).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Robert McN" wrote in message
I am working on document that ought to only be two pages, but it

always
prints as three because, the text in one row is quite voluminous. In

the
table option, I have check the box for "allow row to break across

pages," but
despite this, on page 1, there are two skinny rows and then a huge

blank gap
on the page, page 2 is completely full, and page three has a little

text in
one or two skinny rows. Can I force the table to break in mid-row

and fully
use the entire sheet of paper, thereby turning a 3 page document

into a 2
page one? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert McN Robert McN is offline

Thanks for your reply Stefan. I checked and neither of these are factors.
The Keep with next is not checked nor is the row height specified.
However, your idea gave me another, and I added the requirement, "keep with
next," in the first few lines and that forced the following to stay with the
previous. The only problem I see is that this is a kind of template that
applies to many different reports and the width of the rows vary from report
to report. So I may have to be constantly checking and manually inserting
where the lines should or should not stay together.
There has been some progress.
Thanks,
Bob

"Robert McN" wrote in message
I am working on document that ought to only be two pages, but it

always
prints as three because, the text in one row is quite voluminous. In

the
table option, I have check the box for "allow row to break across

pages," but
despite this, on page 1, there are two skinny rows and then a huge

blank gap
on the page, page 2 is completely full, and page three has a little

text in
one or two skinny rows. Can I force the table to break in mid-row

and fully
use the entire sheet of paper, thereby turning a 3 page document

into a 2
page one? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ksInTables.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:44:38 -0700, Robert McN
wrote:

I am working on document that ought to only be two pages, but it always
prints as three because, the text in one row is quite voluminous. In the
table option, I have check the box for "allow row to break across pages," but
despite this, on page 1, there are two skinny rows and then a huge blank gap
on the page, page 2 is completely full, and page three has a little text in
one or two skinny rows. Can I force the table to break in mid-row and fully
use the entire sheet of paper, thereby turning a 3 page document into a 2
page one? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert McN Robert McN is offline

Thanks, but the text wrapping is set to none. So Still, the table doesn't
break the way I'd like. Thanks anyway.
Bob